Author Topic: Troublesome window leak  (Read 2285 times)

Jason Worman

Troublesome window leak
« on: September 09, 2019, 09:45:48 PM »
Hi everybody,

So the passenger co-pilot window has always leaked. We pulled the window out and resealed and reinstalled. We removed and resealed all the horizontal and vertical trim. We removed and resealed the outside mirror. We resealed the spotlight, horns, and marker lights.  We finally had our windshield professionally removed, resealed and replaced. The leak is in the front most part of the window as well as the under the bottom window frame. We are at a loss as too what else the leak can be coming from. I did notice the cargo bay right below it is wet in the front right corner. I suspect this has been a trouble spot long before we bought it. Any suggestions would be helpful. We are considering pulling the window, metal trim etc. Any advice?

Thank you,

Jason Worman

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Troublesome window leak
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 10:23:45 PM »
The windshield in front of the copilot's seat or side window aft of the entry door (assuming you have a front located entry door)?
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 11:03:28 PM »
Jason.
Check the rivets/screws under the vinyl seal strip that runs along the top of the outer wall where it joins the roof. If you see any rusted screws/rivets, water is getting in behind the vinyl. If so, replace it. You may want to loosen the screws and put a dab of lexel or equivalent behind them before retightening. If you have an awning, check the seal to the coach wall. They are notorious for leaking. I had a similar issue w/a bathroom window and fixed it by running  lexel along the top of the awning where it contacted the wall and adding a dab of lexel to each rivet attaching the awning to the wall.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Jason Worman

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 12:05:03 AM »
Steve,
We have the mid coach entry door. We did all this work last summer with new everything, screens, tape, trim etc. We will pull back the vinyl and check each and every screw and replace as needed. The paint just under the inside of the window has a blister of fluid, will just let it dry out. This window has no awning over it, but will go around again and reseal the top of each where it connects to side of coach. For us here on the Oregon Coast, the rainy  season has begun so will have to do the work when we have a string of sunny days.

Thank you,

Jason Worman

Darell T Hostland

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 01:44:40 PM »
We did the same as you and still had leaks so we did this. We removed the metal strip that joins the roof to the wall and replace all the caulking under it and all new screws. Put a good caulk over the screws and replaced rubber strip with new strip. There was places under the metal strip that the caulking was missed in the manufacturing of the rv. We did both sides and now we have zero leaks.

Jason Worman

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 05:52:35 PM »
Darrell,

What kind of caulking did you use and what type of screws? Where did you find that black rubber that fits into the metal.trim.When we did this last summer we used Eternabond caulking along the inside of the metal track and covered the screw heads with Proflex sealant.  Thanks

Jason Worman

Darell T Hostland

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 12:57:21 PM »
We did both sides of the rv. We used butyl putty tape from amazon under the metal. We used stainless screws from Lows. Put lexel from Lows over the screws. We got a roll of the plastic from a rv parts store. It comes in many colors. We found the water leaked down between the wood and the insulation and came out around the window. The window is framed in wood and we replaced all the wood with new wood. We found black mold all down the wall to the floor under the wall covering and the carpet on the wall and floor. We had to replace all the wood floor underlay and all the wood over the foam insulation on the wall. We used gorilla glue to glue the wood and foam to the fiberglass skin. Gorilla glue need moisture to cure so the fiberglass/wood skin can be damp not bone dry. Braced the outside wall with 1" plywood. There is no bubbling or delaminating of the outside wall for 3 years now.I posted picture some place here under a different topic. I can't remember the name of the topic.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 02:22:13 PM »
Darell,

This? http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,8601.msg59238.html#msg59238

You can click on your name on the left panel, then when your profile comes up, click "show posts". They are in chronological order, with the topic.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad