Author Topic: black tank paper  (Read 6335 times)

Hal Grimshaw

• BAC Member
black tank paper
« on: September 16, 2019, 09:18:03 PM »

Has anyone had experience using 2 ply septic tank safe paper?  Di=d it cause any problem plugging up the works or the sensors   
2007 Patriot Thunder
C13

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: black tank paper
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 09:43:06 PM »
Hal I never  had a problem on the 06PT
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 10:10:28 PM »
Go to YouTube and search “RV toilet paper test” to find plenty of opinions.

Woe is me when we’ve been on trips over a couple of weeks, much less 6 months, and Lee has been without her Charmin.  But that stuff is not good on valves and sensors... been there long ago.  Closest we have come is Camco’s 2-ply, but it “shore ain’t no Charmin”.  You’d think after all these decades of active RV markets, they’d have come up with a paper composition that broke down after 10 minutes of moisture absorption but was perforated 4 ply and not stiff as a board.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 10:19:20 PM »
I ran a test on various papers a number of years ago. Test was to drop one sheet in a jar of water and see if and how long it took to break down w/o shaking the jar. Scotts RV paper was the best by far. Camco was ok, but it doesn't have the quality (IMHO) of Scotts. The worst by far was Costco paper. I didn't try other household brands, e.g Charmin, etc. but suspect they would perform similar to Costco's.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Robert Wagner

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 10:52:22 PM »
Ok we now use Scott rapid dissolving. So far so good.  Walmart

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 11:25:20 PM »
The “rapid dissolving” says it’s only one-ply.  Is that the same version you’re talking about, Steve?
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Robert Wagner

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 11:47:22 PM »
Yes but not too bad. Better than Funked up black tank. Wife is ok with it so life is good.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 12:29:57 AM »
Joel,
As Robert said, it is single ply but (IMHO) it is significantly better (thicker?) than Camco's paper. Try it.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Robert Wagner

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 12:48:56 AM »
Was trying to figure out what imho was and what it had to do with toilet paper.  Looked all over that stupid package. Thought I missed something. Wife told me 😡😡. Lol.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 09:32:25 AM »
Hal
Do you have the Tecma toilet in your '07?  That has the mascerator built into it so that gives any paper a head start breaking down.  Ours als has a mascerator at the dump valve so the only problem is letting it settle.
We did the test with a mason jar and one square in water using several brands and use nothing but the Costco.  I believe they are supplied by different manufacturers so you might be getting other brands so differing results.
Are you using the grey tank to flush out the black each time when dumping?  That helps too!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2019, 03:39:29 PM »
Hal,
I have been using Costco 2 ply paper for years and like Steve said it does not dissolve as quickly as the 1 ply RV papers, it has never been a problem. My 2000 Marquis had a standard RV toilet with a black tank and my 2002 Solitaire has a vacuum flush toilet with just one holding tank instead of a black and gray tank. The only clogs that I have ever had are where the vacuum flush in the Solitaire reduces from the standard 3 inch pipe to the 1 1/2 inch pipe just below the toilet, and that is quickly corrected with the standard toilet plunger.

Gerald

Darrell Terry

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2019, 06:50:17 PM »
My fix for black tank toilet paper clogging is unique and maybe not something everyone would consider.
I buy any toilet paper I want and/or is on sale,  all used toilet paper goes into a Doggie Bag and goes out with the trash each day.
It took my wife about a month to get on-board with the new program, but she is fine with it now.
I have not had any issues with plugging or clogging of our Black tank for over 5 years of full-time use.

2004 Monterey
350 Cummins ISC

Bill Sprague

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2019, 07:36:40 PM »
To the topic, we use Costco TP.  ( In my college living experience we called it "crap wrap"!)

The real issue may be what to do with a clog.  Sensors on most Beavers are not the type of metal probes that get gummed up.  So that is not an issue. 

Our '04 Monterey was as bad as they come.  The tank outlet was low and had to go through the floor.  There was was little "tank pressure to get around the necessary tight elbows to get a good hose connection. 

Either make or buy a way to put back pressure and flow through the valve when clogged.  It is easy enough to do with a sewer cap that has a hose fitting.  All you need is a hose thread female to female adapter.  During the backflush you'll fill the pipe section with enough fresh that anything you spill is minor.   You can catch it with a bucket or pan. 

Better might be a $20 gadget designed to do it with the sewer hose connected.  Try the Camco 39062 Dual Flush Pro.   

https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-Holding-Rinser-Thoroughly-39062/dp/B000BUQOAE/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Camco+39062+Dual+Flush+Pro&qid=1569177319&s=automotive&sr=1-1

(Karl can tell you that I should have had one in the Tetons!)

Peter and Connie Bradish

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2019, 12:54:08 PM »
We too use the method of throwing soiled toilet paper in a trash bag rather than down into the tank. But the sensors are notorious for getting gunked up anyway. Frankly I use the gray water sensor and the old method of counting days since we last dumped.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2019, 01:55:22 PM »
We use whatever the wife decides she wants for whatever reason she uses.  I doubt the thickness has much to do with it because it's always touch and smells like perfume, before use of course.  I use tank tech and never dump the black until I know it's as full as it can get.  I have told the family to use more water than you think you need to flush and then add more.  We don't boondock normally so water isn't an issue.  We haven't had an issue in the Beaver for 6 years or in an RV for over 20.  Except don't forget and leave the bathroom fan on when flushing unless you want to smell the toilet paper after use!!
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH