Author Topic: C12 Low Turbo Boost Faults  (Read 1999 times)

steve zannella

C12 Low Turbo Boost Faults
« on: September 18, 2019, 08:45:53 PM »
Did a dump of my ECU and it showed 100 low turbo faults over 1200 hours of operation. No major faults. My Alladin shows a steady 25 psi on long climbs.  No check engine light or de-rate has ever been observed and power delivery is good.

Should I be concerned at this point and spend money to try and find out what`s causing the faults.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: C12 Low Turbo Boost Faults
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 09:44:51 AM »
Steve, before I can help you with your question, you indicated 100 entries boost pressure.
Can you provide what the event numbers  are (  example 102- 2 low boost  or maybe 102-4
low boost  ) if you can fine tune the low boost number I can tell what is going on if you a
problem or not.  Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

steve zannella

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 11:09:37 PM »
Hi Dave

Low boost fault code 102-1 and first occurrence at 1243, last 2029 hours total hours 2042 also noted 1 derate 166-11 at 2035 hours.

Steve

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 07:26:40 PM »
Steve, the code you have is what is called a Event Code 102 - 1. Excessive Boost Pressure
Conditions Which Generate This Code:  The ECM detects the followings conditions.

The actual boost pressure is higher than the desired boost pressure.  System Response:

Boost pressure is set to ( 0 psi ) DIAG will be displayed next to the status for Boost Pressure
on Caterpillar ( ET ).   Possible Preformance Effect:

The engine may experience low power when the event diagnostic code is active

Troubleshooting:

Determine the cause of excessive boost pressure such as a wastegate for turbocharger that has
failed or a line for wastegate that has been pinched.

Steve this should take you to your problem.  Note look over real good little rubber hose going to
the wastegate real close mainly the metal clips holding hose to wastegate will crack right along
the metal retaining clip, over time the hose will rot out at the metal. Dave Atherton Retired Cat
Mechanic

steve zannella

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 09:01:39 PM »
Thank You Dave
I"ll have the mechanic check your recommendations.