Author Topic: Roadside Assistance  (Read 4143 times)

Steve Albert

Roadside Assistance
« on: April 22, 2020, 07:20:14 PM »
Looking into getting roadside assistance anyone have any feed back on FMCA Good Sam or Coach Net any troubles or witch you would recommend
 :-\
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 07:29:02 PM by Steve Albert »

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Re: Roadside Assistance
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 09:26:42 PM »
We've had Coach Net for 10+ years. We have used them 3 or 4 times. At home, in Montana, and Vermont. Always prompt courteous, and professional.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 09:29:07 PM »
Steve,
Two years ago, we had Good Sam roadside assistance (my wife said it was a very good price) and I hit something thrown up by the truck in front of me and cut a RR outer drive axle tire. To replace one tire, it was like dealing with the Mafia. It cost me nearly $1,000 to get one Hancock tire. They said that was the only 315/80/22.5 tire available in the Tacoma area, and that included the $168 mounting charge that took the service truck driver 10 minutes to complete without even removing the wheel. Needless to say, I canceled their service and changed to a different provider. I consider Good Sam roadside assistance a ripoff that is looking to maximize their profit from your problem.   

Gerald
The following users thanked this post: Paul Meehan, Craig Wahnish

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 11:13:23 PM »
We’ve had Coach-Net since practically day one, as it was a purchase benefit.  It lapsed because we had AAA and I couldn’t see having both.  But when it came up for renewal a year or two later we cancelled our 50+ year-old AAA policy that was more expensive, had fewer features and covered less, and we went with Coac-Net that covers all our vehicles.  There were discounts available through the RV insurance company/agency, and I got the best deal by buying the max multiyear plan.

In recent years the insurance agency changed tow providers, but we’ve stayed with CN.  Many here complained about increased premiums, but for whatever reason ours didn’t go up.  We’ll see when the renewal comes up again.  Ponying up for the longest stint is not only cheaper but means not having to worry about it annually.  With several other competitors out there now, and maybe with at least a temporary lower insurance company risk due to the pandemic, the premiums may be modified.

We’ve used the service once and their on-phone tech diagnosed our issue right away, then ordered a tow with the right-sized truck for the RV.  The driver had trouble with the short driveline on our coach, but our service advisor at Beaver Coach talked him through it on the phone.  And once our grandson had a flat while borrowing the pickup truck well away from home, and CN quickly took care of it for him;  I just told him to call the number on the card fastened to the visor.

Some here have reported less than stellar experience with CN, but that happens with other companies too, as Gerald relates.  In fact, over the years I’ve flirted with Good Sam, since we’re life members there since 1990, but they always quote more expensive and I’ve read too many negative reviews here and elsewhere.  That said, I think a lot of issues are more due to the individual local tow provider than the national company, so it’s the luck of the draw as to where you are geographically when a problem comes up.  I think most companies call the nearest capable provider and likely those providers have contracts with multiple companies.

Joel
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 11:19:25 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Craig Wahnish