Author Topic: Solar Panel problem  (Read 5145 times)

Bruce Sevier

• BAC Member
Solar Panel problem
« on: October 07, 2019, 12:24:38 PM »
The solar panels on our 1999 Beaver Marquis do not appear to be charging the House Batteries.  There is 18 volts measured at the fuses located in the battery compartment.  Yet the voltage on the house batteries is not as high as the coach batteries when dry camping.  I am not able to locate the controllers for the panels.  I have had two technicians try to solve the problem, but we have not been able to locate the controllers.  Called Beaver Coach Sales and was told they are under the bed in the engine compartment, but have not found them there. 
Can anyone help with this, or recommend a shop that services these?  I'm located in Sacramento, CA.  Also a photo of the controller might help.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Bruce Sevier
Bruce Sevier
99 Marquis

George Harwell

Re: Solar Panel problem
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 01:50:54 PM »
Bruce, don’t know if this will help but it can’t hurt to try. On my 03 Monterey the controller is located on a carpeted panel just forward of the right rear wheels. The panel is almost as big as the bay door and is secured with 4 screws. The controller is mounted to the back side of this panel along with some Alladin components. Here’s hoping your coach is the same.
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 01:53:38 PM »
    Hi Bruce, I have been looking for the same controller but never did find it. Where did you find the fuse that shows 18 volts? Seems you should be close because that is the solar panel voltage with no load against it. Perhaps it is behind the batteries disconnect mount located on the compartment ceiling above the house and chassis batteries? I have been looking for my controller so I could replace it with more amperage capacity and then add 2 more 300 watt panels. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Rick Daniels

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 02:13:14 PM »
Put me on the list of someone who has not been able to find the solar controller on my 99 Marquis Jasper.  It seems to be working well but it would be nice to know what it looks like and where it's at just in case.  Bruce, if you find it or get pictures please post the pictures.
1999 Beaver Marquis Jasper 40' Cat C-12
2020 Chev 1500 High Country
Three Forks, Montana
"Where the Missouri River Begins"

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 03:17:04 PM »
Here is what it looks like. Ours is on the wall in the bay that has the Aladdin modules, and the gray and black tanks. Click on the photo to enlarge.

Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 03:38:40 PM »
18 volts on a 100watt panel is about right for 'open circuit' voltage, that is, with no load (not charging) applied. So the panel appears to be working, now to chase down the open circuit.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 03:38:52 PM »
   Thanks Stan, That is a Monaco application, ours is Safari and I've been looking for years, Seems like Marquis's are uninique because Patriots and Thunders are obvious. Still looking, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Lonne Mays

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 05:01:32 PM »
On our 99 Contessa Naples, the solar panel controller is located on the front vertical "firewall" under the foot of the bed, driver's side.  It is a small module about 4"x5"x1", and is labeled Siemens as the manufacturer.  There are also fuses associated with the solar panel located on the battery compartment wall.  The set up does not match the description in our Beaver Contessa Owner's Manuals (which references two solar panels, a 100W for the house batteries, and a smaller "maintainer" panel for the chassis batteries).  Our Contessa only has one 100W siemens solar panel on the roof.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 11:43:52 PM »
Solar controller is “white” box on the side wall in the photo, and is where Stan and George’s are.  Your earlier non-Monaco model is likely elsewhere, but may be a similar controller although technology in flux during that period may dictate otherwise.  A call to the common solar supplier in Oregon may provide some answers, https://amsolar.com/

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Brian Buchanan

• The Buchanan's Rolling Down the Road
  • BAC Member
    • The Buchanan's Rolling Down the Road
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 12:16:17 PM »
On our 1998 Patriot the solar controller was located cut into the right rear cabinet, I had to pick the mattress up to find it, we also had a similar problem with not charging the house batteries. Our panel was connected to the chassis batteries only and the wire was too long and too small of gauge to get any performance from the panel.
The 18 volts does seem like straight solar panel voltage so you definitely have an open circuit, and I would suspect a defective controller, there are a lot of good inexpensive mppt solar controllers on the market.
Happy hunting
Laurie & Brian Buchanan
Full Timers
40’ 1998 Patriot 425 Thunder
425 hp C12 Cat
Tow 2007 Ford Sport-Trac
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson, Fred Brooks

Ed Beckett

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2022, 10:02:54 PM »
Just in case anyone is still looking...I found my controller under the bed in the master bedroom. It is on the passenger end of the bed

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2022, 01:40:34 AM »
   Ed,
What kind of a coach do you have? Fred

Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV