Author Topic: Radius rods 97 Patriot 40' Camden  (Read 2029 times)

Tim Schafer

• BAC Member
Radius rods 97 Patriot 40' Camden
« on: November 09, 2019, 02:24:39 PM »
Has anyone had to replace their radius rods?  My bushings are out and according to BCS they aren't replacable and you have to replace the whole rods at $850-1500 each depending whether they are adjustable or not.  Anyone have experience in getting the bushings rebuilt or a better price on the rods themselves?

I've not had someone get under it and find the exact length/type to get a more accurate price from BCS but hoping that price is not what it's going to actually cost because that is going to be very painful when combined with labor rates as well.

BCS said they have been seeing a lot of calls recently for these in a coach my age, so assuming this is normal for wearing out, but really hoping for a cheaper solution for the repair.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Tim & Ann
Tim & Ann Schafer
1997 Beaver Patriot Camden 40'

Gerald Farris

Re: Radius rods 97 Patriot 40' Camden
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 03:55:44 PM »
Tim,
Another possible source for the rods and/or bushings is Henderson's Line-up in Grants Pass Oregon. They are familiar with the early Magnum chassis (Beaver and Safari), and since suspension work is about the only thing that they do, they have probably had the need to repair a coach with your issues.

Gerald

Tim Schafer

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 07:06:15 PM »
I will give them a call Monday. Thank you.
Tim & Ann Schafer

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 07:37:28 PM »
There is a place called Truck Parts Inc. in Charlotte, NC that will make custom length strut and radius rods if you give them the overall length and the size of the bushings.  They basically take two stock bushing ends and then weld a pipe between them.  There is probably a truck shop nearer to you that can do the same thing.  I was considering going this route thinking that my bushing may be worn, but on inspection they are not.  A friend who owns a trucking company told me about them saying it is quicker and easier to change them out than to try to press out the bushings and replace them.  He would not go this route if it was not saving him money in the long run.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Tim Schafer

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 08:38:10 PM »
Another awesome suggestion.  Hopefully this gets the price down to an amount I can afford without taking a second mortgage.... 

Thanks,

Tim & Ann
Tim & Ann Schafer