Author Topic: Fantastic Fan  (Read 2331 times)

Michael Turnipseed

Fantastic Fan
« on: November 14, 2019, 12:52:34 AM »
Hi there
I have a fan that stalls out when running in the auto mode, with some assist during the cycle it will open.
Is there some PM that should be done on these, and any remedy for the current issue?

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Fantastic Fan
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 01:19:30 AM »
We occasionally remove the circular screen and wash it in detergent... accessed from under the fan.  The screen, especially in the fan over the kitchen, will get some oil from cooking smoke and steam stuck on it.  The screen will then catch and hold some dust.  Also, the seal under the cap needs to be cleaned periodically because it too will catch some oil and dust, and cause the cap to stick down... such that the motor is unable to lift it off the seal.  The seal must be accessed from the roof.  While up there, I also clean the rain detector to make it operate better.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Andrew Shoen

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 08:23:56 AM »
The fan company suggested cleaning as David suggests and treating thoroughly any accessible moving parts and the sealing edges of the lid with Aerospace 303 protectant.  But your lift arm gearing may be wearing.  Eventually the arm may not mesh with the gear and will need replacing.  A dry lube such as Teflon/silicone spray can be put on the moving lift arm parts.  Dry lube won’t attract dirt like petroleum based lubes.

A lid left tightly closed without having been occasionally cleaned and treated along with its roof mating surface can stick if left like that in storage.  The stress on the lift mechanism trying to overcome such resistance to opening will cause it to wear or break.  With that in mind, I use the manual option to slightly take downward pressure off the closed lid before winter storage, slightly “cracking” it off the roof so it won’t stick during the next use.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 01:16:56 PM »
Michael,
From you description, you either have a worn lift arm or a lift motor on its last leg if the lid seal is clean. When I have had this problem, I just replace the lift motor and arm both as the repair method of choice.

Gerald 

Michael Turnipseed

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 02:16:14 AM »
Thanks, I tried the cleaning and lubricating, but I think you nailed it Gerald. When I pulled the gear box and motor both had rust on them, probably not a good sign.
I did the PM on the other two and there working great.
Thank you all for the advise.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 01:00:15 PM »
Michael
Not mentioned above but still relevant (I believe) at least it was on our 2003, is the lift button.  I dont believe it is part of your problem now but should be done on any FF maintenance.  The button is under the lid and tells the fan when the lid is up.  Under the lid at the back seen from the roof is a sprung button made from aluminum I think.  It will corrode and no longer move. 
A lite wire brush (I have a brass one) and just go all around it then hit it with a touch of WD 40.  Good to go for a year or two.
Manufacturer mentioned this.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!