Author Topic: Diesel fuel filler neck on drivers side missing threads  (Read 7790 times)

Mike Shumack

Re: Diesel fuel filler neck on drivers side missing threads
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2019, 02:44:35 PM »
That's a "weld in" filler neck. Are you sure that is the correct type.

I though the filler neck on our coached used a flange to "bolt it" to the body then the hose clamped on to that.

More like this.  Maybe I'm wrong.

But weld-in is okay if you can remove the existing assembly and take it to a welding shop.

Terry Whiteley

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2019, 03:25:16 PM »
Probably “bolt on” would be ok but not sure how to do that. I asked filter neck supply for something that would fit inside my 2” OD filler pipe. I am quite certain I will have to remove the filler pipe from
the fuel door area and take apart the fuel line leading down towards the fuel tank then have the new Diesel Fuel Cap Neck Insert For Fill Pipe welded in. I suppose I might also be able to epoxy the Diesel Fuel Cap Neck Insert In as well...

05 Beaver Monterey Huntington IV 38’
4 Slides
CAT 400 hp C9
F150 2wheel drive
with driveshaft disconnect and M & G Braking System
Owned for 3 years
East Texas

Mike Shumack

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2019, 04:12:21 PM »
I'm not 100% sure, but I thought the filler neck was about 10 inches long (solid tube) with four bolts/screws that hold it into the body opening and then the flexible hose going to the tank clamped to that.

If you scrape away some of the calking/sealer around the filler neck you would see those bolts/screws - if they are used.

Terry Whiteley

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2019, 04:51:14 PM »
I did scrape away all the epoxy and there are 3 screws holding it. My filler pipe starts out with about      1” straight then turns down at about a 60 -75 degree angle then goes almost straight for about 2 feet till it ties into what appears to be an insulated flexible line heading toward the fuel tank...I have not removed it yet because I wanted to be see what was available for an insert into the filler plus be able to drive the coach to a repair facility if needed. I am very appreciative of all the input. i’m just not sure I personally want to mess with the fuel line etc.
Thanks
Terry

4 Slides
CAT 400 hp C9
F150 2wheel drive
Owned for 3 years
East Texas

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2019, 10:22:07 PM »
Terry,
Be sure to verify where the filler tube goes into the tank. Some Beavers had the tube entering the tank at about the 3/4 point on the side of the tank, rather than at the top. If your tank has fuel above that point, it could get messy....
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Terry Whiteley

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2019, 03:33:30 AM »
Define “ Could get messy“ please...
Thanks
Terry
BAC
4 Slides
CAT 400 hp C9
F150 2wheel drive
Owned for 3 years
East Texas

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2019, 03:48:12 AM »
I think he means that if your fuel level is higher than the opening on the fuel filler, the tank may empty out of the neck!  Messy!!
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2019, 01:52:34 PM »
Jerry, Terry,
Yes, that is what I was referring to.
Steve
Steve

Mandy Canales

• BAC Member
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2019, 07:19:18 PM »
Gerald, Steve, etal...On my 90 Marquis the fuel inlet behind the door is an opening only for a auto fill pump.  What do I have to do to enlarge the opening in order to use the truck pumping area without having to hold the pump handle.
Mandy Canales
90 Beaver Marquis 40'
Cat 3208
Charter Member
Apple Valley, CA

Terry Whiteley

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2019, 07:58:51 PM »

Mandy everyone else I am purchasing a threaded diesel filler insert which fits inside my fuel filler pipe inlet

Filler neck Supply have some diesel inserts it will need to be welded in, to see it CLICK Below

https://www.fillernecksupply.com/threaded-diesel-fuel-cap-neck-insert-for-commercial-truck-stop-pump-fill-pipe/

They also sell the green diesel cap
Sales: Dustin Squires
Filler Neck Supply Co.
10020 E Montgomery Ave
Bldg #2
Spokane Valley Wa 99206
www.fillernecksupply.com
Phone 888-239-8833

Mandy you would need to detach the filler pipe from inside the fuel door which should have 3 screws. Then disconnect the fuel line probably connected to flexible fuel line which connect to the fuel tank below. I am not a welder so I’m taking it to a local repair shop that I’ve done business with and he’ll weld the insert to the inside of the fuel filler pipe and then will be able to reconnect to the flexible fuel line and then screw back the filler pipe with the Threaded insert to the fuel door area.***I will advise everyone how the process went for future RV owners with similar problems have similar problems.

Terry
4 Slides
CAT 400 hp C9
F150 2wheel drive
Owned for 3 years
East Texas

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2019, 12:13:50 AM »
Mandy,
If I understand your question correctly, changing the inlet size won't fix the problem IMHO. The major issue is the size of the fill pipe and inlet to the tank. The cross sectional area is not large enough to accommodate the volume of fuel that is introduced by a pump with the  handle nozzle on full. Going to a truck nozzle will make the problem worse as it will try to force even more fuel down the pipe. Another issue may also be at play. On many of the older coaches, the fill port into the tank was located 25% to 40% below the top of the tank. This was necessary to achieve a gravity assisted flow because the tank was mounted relatively high in the chassis in relation to the fill door. Thus, at some point fuel is not emptying into the tank above the existing level of the fuel in the tank, but is being added below the level of the fuel in the tank, restricting the amount of fuel one can push down the fill pipe w/o significant back pressure/ fuel backup.
Gerald may have more accurate info on this.
Steve
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 02:56:07 AM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
Steve

Terry Whiteley

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2019, 04:12:21 AM »
Now I get it Steve...it makes sense why fueling is so restricted & slow. I would say my previous owner knew this and thus changed the opening size of the inlet thinking it would improve fueling.
Terry

4 Slides
CAT 400 hp C9
F150 2wheel drive
Owned for 3 years
East Texas

Gerald Farris

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2019, 02:39:38 PM »
Mandy,
Steve is right about the reason that refueling your coach is at restricted flow rate. To modify your coach so that you can refuel from a truck pump without having to hold the handle at a slow rate would probably require moving the fuel tank to a more accessible location like a basement compartment location similar to the one used by Monaco in some of the later model coaches.

Gerald

Mandy Canales

• BAC Member
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2019, 08:10:06 PM »
Forget it!!!
Mandy Canales
90 Beaver Marquis 40'
Cat 3208
Charter Member
Apple Valley, CA

Roy Boles

• BAC Member
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2019, 02:17:03 AM »
Terry as for as the slow fueling and foaming goes I used to use small wooden wedge to regulate the fuel flow so I didn’t have to hold the fuel nozzle. Last spring I went to a muffler with the coach. They bent some two inch exhaust pipe to replace the fuel filler hose. With the exhaust pipe in place the foaming has been reduced by 80 percent or more and the fuel flow is better. I think the filler hose churns the fuel causing the foaming. The panel below the filler is attached like a cargo bay door. Unbolt it at the bottom and it swings up and you can see the filler hose. With the fuel tank at half or less you can remove the filler hoses. I had the pipe bent so that I had only an inch or so clearance. Using six inches of new hose On each end I installed the pipe.
'98 Marquis Diamante
C-12/Allison 4000