Author Topic: leveling compressor  (Read 16323 times)

Gerald Farris

Re: leveling compressor
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 01:52:29 PM »
Harold,
I would like to caution you on one issue in installing a Viair 380 in place of the original compressor. Since the Viair compressor produces about twice the volume of air that the original compressor does, it requires more amps in its supply feed circuit. I would wire the original relay as a trigger circuit to a second 30 amp relay with a 10 gauge 12V supply circuit for the Viair compressor. This wiring method will prevent overloading the original circuit, and insure an adequate power source for the Viair compressor.

Gerald

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 01:41:28 PM »
On my 2005 Monterey, I was told by HWH when the coach has been auto-leveled, a leak down at a corner will be followed by leak downs in the other corners as appropriate.  My pump won't come on unless the coach loses all air or if I raise it manually.

Dennis

Gerald Farris

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 10:49:48 PM »
Dennis,
When the HWH system is auto-leveling the coach, the priority in leveling the coach is to deflate the high point first. If deflating the high point first does not level the coach (bottoms out), the system will inflate the low point (turn on the compressor) to level the coach. The HWH system uses the same procedure when the coach is initially leveled as well as when it is re-leveled. The system is programed to level the coach in this manner to prevent raising the coach higher than is necessary and making entering and exiting the coach more difficult.

Gerald  

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 10:51:19 PM »
HWH advised you correctly, Dennis.  When auto-leveled, we regularly hear valves release air as the sensors activate the HWH control module while camping.

But if an end or side opposite a leaked down point is already at its lowest, the compressor will come on to raise the lowest point.  It will also activate if tank pressure, while in Auto-level Mode, is below 90 psi.  Both of these conditions can occur over extended periods of camping.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Harold and Gloria Skipworth

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2013, 12:47:03 AM »
I got the compressor assy working on my bench as needed, it runs the compressor till I have 125 lbs shuts off, and then the separator drain opens.  It will stay off til the pressure drops to 100 lbs.  I mounted it the coach and the first time I energized the unit it pumped rapidly triped the pressure relief and shut off.  It hasn't come back on since.  I tried bleeding down the tanks to below restart pressures but still no response.  I know there is a check valve in the head of the separator but is there another between the tank and the compressor.  It seems to me that there is and it is stuck shut

Harold and Gloria Skipworth

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 12:59:28 AM »
Gerald
BTW I bought all the pieces parts needed to add the 40 amp relay and 10 ga. wire.  During the process of discovering what did and didn't work it occurred to me , why use a 40 amp relay to feed a 100 amp solenoid.  As the pressure switch is only rated for 5 amps I used the original "trigger" to feed the coil in the solenoid in series with the pressure switch.  I ran a new 10 ga. pair to the 12 volt distribution panel and connected to a open circuit breaker with a 30 amp inline fuse.  The drain valve is connected to the switched side of the solenoid and ground.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2013, 07:32:10 AM »
Harold,
Some coaches have a check valve at the tank. All air leveling compressors are not wired the same. The air compressor on my coach was powered by a 10 amp circuit. If your compressor is powered by a 100 amp solenoid with 10 gauge or larger wire, you do not need to make any wiring changes when installing a larger compressor.

Gerald

Sean Donohue

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2013, 07:14:06 PM »
Just a curious question here... If one had a pump failure and needed to, could an air compressor connect to the system by the quick connects?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2013, 08:22:30 PM »
I think so, Sean.  Tow truck operators connect there to keep pressure in an out-of-commission coach so the brakes stay released.  

But obviously the engine's compressor, if operational, is optimal.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2013, 01:36:29 AM »
Sean,
You can air up your air system with a hose from an air compressor that is hooked to the quick connector in the service bay on most coaches.