Author Topic: Water leak inside.  (Read 4175 times)

Andrew Shoen

• BAC Member
Water leak inside.
« on: December 04, 2019, 01:40:07 PM »
Has anyone else had water drip out from the dash pad up by the top of the windshield? I noticed drips of water coming out of the pad by the air vent.

I assumed it was the windshield seal, so I got up there in between rains and did my best seal job, but it is still coming in.

Also the speaker cover over the passenger seat (same side as the dripping vent/dash pad) is damp. The power passenger shade stopped working and hopefully comes back when it dries. The wood framing around those power blinds are damp and when I press the dash pad, I can get water drops to come out of the wood in the corner where the two pieces of wood frame come together.

The bay door on drivers side (first one up front with all wiring) is also allowing water in. Carpet is wet and wiring has condensation on wires.

I called Geico and they came out yesterday and took pictures. I am taking it in this am to figure out where it is exactly entering and get an estimate on repairs.

Geico said they are not sure what they will and will not cover.. (they might cover damage but might not cover what caused the damage).

Remember I just had the roof stress cracks drilled, filled, sealed and painted, so I don't think it's that.

Have any of you had this similar situation? What turned out to be the cause of the leak and what was the cost of repairs?

I am taking off for the winter next week so this is something that will be addressed down the road.

Thanks for your input.
2006 Beaver Monterey Pacifica
C9

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Water leak inside.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 01:53:05 PM »
We had an intermittent leak that dripped water onto the dash. I thought it was caused by the windshield, but took it to BCS to fix. They replaced the front clearance lights with new and re-sealed, no more leaks. Also had the 'wet front run bay' too, the one under the drivers seat with all the wires. Mechanic rolled under coach and found where a wire bundle exited the bay; he sealed the area with spray foam and no more leaks!
Leaks are not easy to find, hope you have quick success finding yours.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."
The following users thanked this post: Andrew Shoen

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 01:55:44 PM »
The clearance lights up front and in back are common leak points.  I would check them and reseal or replace first and go from there.  Water can run for a long way on the roof.  It could be getting in 5 or more feet away and just showing up there.  It could change due to the leveling of the coach the next time it rains.  Good luck.

Bill, you beat me!  LOL
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 02:52:48 PM »
Can you set up a garden hose or sprinkler so it "only sprays water on the windshield and gasket"? Then let it run for a couple of hours and see if the leak shows up.

If it doesn't show any signs of leaking then move the hose/sprinkler to a new higher location (clearance lights, roof antennas, etc.).

No need to spend money resealing a windshield if the leak is somewhere else (as Jerry mentioned, the clearance lights, etc.)

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 04:29:53 PM »
Andrew,
Were you driving in the rain or did the leak start when you were parked? If driving, the clearance lights are chief suspects. If you hadn't been driving they could still be major contributors but I'd also look at and reseal anything on the roof over the speaker area, such as the awing wind speed sensor. Also, consider pulling the speaker for a few days to allow air circulation to dry the wet areas above the ceiling.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 04:49:20 PM »
Our '04 Monterey had guaranteed to crack, crappy plastic clearance lights.  Good ones are made from some sort of polycarbonate or "Lexan".  The cheap plastic ones are good for a couple years before the slightest bump from a wash brush will crack them.  (In my youth I was a rep for truck tail light company!)

When ours started leaking I couldn't conveniently find a snap on replacement.  And, Beaver had put so much ickum pucky around them I couldn't get them off.  I vowed to replace them, bought the parts and a vibrating tool to dig out the junk sealant. 

Meanwhile I had to stop the leak!  I had a spare tube of white, turns clear bathroom calk.   I smeared it all over the cracked lens.  It looked terrible.  The next day, it cured to clear and was not noticeable unless you stared at it.  It had the effect of gluing the pieces back together and sealing the cracks. 

I never did get around to completely replacing the lights and the rig was leak free the last half dozen years we owned it. 

Andrew Shoen

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 08:07:54 PM »
Hey Guys.

Well living in the Bay Area, it's raining and my tech pinpointed the leak to the clearance lights. Some of the lights have standing water inside them and there is also some gaps in the windshield sealant.

Where did you go to find the replacement lights?  BCS?

Thanks
C9

Andrew Shoen

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 08:13:39 PM »
Steve I was not driving but we are pretty sure its the clearance lights.

Good advice as always and any suggestions on where to get replacement lights?

Heading out for the winter to Florida starting next week, so hopefully getting out of the wet.

Andrew
C9

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 08:59:01 PM »
Hey Guys.

Well living in the Bay Area, it's raining and my tech pinpointed the leak to the clearance lights. Some of the lights have standing water inside them and there is also some gaps in the windshield sealant.

Thanks
https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/home

I found them here:
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 09:01:18 PM »
Hey Guys.

Thanks
https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/home.  Here is the whole link:https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/truck-lite-18300y/marker-light-yellow-model-18-p-u13-18300y

I found them here:
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 09:52:11 PM »
E trailer also has some clearance lights. Thats where I bought mine at!
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 11:56:10 PM »
Ditto here on the clearance lights.  They didn’t look all that bad and seemed to be adequately sealed, but hairline lens cracks were apparently the culprit.  BCS replaced them a few years ago while we were in for other issues.  I could’ve done it, but their experience and workmanship was quick and worth it.  Fortunately I didn’t have the extensive intrusion you seem to have, but if yours are original they are way overdue.  I only saw one leak instance on ours from over the driver’s dash;  probably from just the way the coach was parked/angled that one time.  Glad your tech was on it.  I occasionally treat the lenses, especially those over the windshield, with Aerospace 303 to minimize brittleness from UV exposure.

Now, our electrical bay leak was another story.  For years the bay would accumulate a lake whose flood waters threatened low-mounted components like the VIP Smartwheel module and other wire looms and connections.  I’d have to go out after rainy spells and check.  Sometimes there was an extended sponge-out necessary and sometimes not.  I put desiccant pots in there too, and hunted for the leak source.  I found it in the bay ceiling, left front, where the wire looms came through from above.

Some of that could’ve been from the clearance light issue, but after I finally spent an hour judiciously filling obvious large cracks in the windshield’s rubber brow with Lexel, the lake was gone.  It’s been history now for 7 or 8 years.  BCS always claimed the brow cracking would not cause leaking below, and they know the seal’s construction better than I.  Yet after Lexel it stopped.  Water had to be getting behind the brow somewhere, seeping streetside, and creeping down the driver’s pillar and onto the bay ceiling.

I can say that rubber windshield seal/brow was badly cracked along its “trough” not long after the coach was new.  It was a bad factory install in 2006 that they remounted (replacing a resultant cracked windshield) in 2007.  I’ve thought of having BCS or RV Glass Solutions replace the seal and/or brow, but since Lexeling it I’m in “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it“ mode. 

Lexel is in many ways similar to but better than silicone.  Small squeeze tubes are available at Ace stores and some Lowe’s, who has the caulking gun size too.  A wet finger on fresh beads works well, but don’t wait 10 minutes to do that smoothing.  Also clean the rubber with Simple Green beforehand, rinse, and let it dry.  I use it on home projects requiring waterproofing, including holes drilled in siding or other outdoor screw sites.  I perimetered my kitchen under-sink platform with Lexel, to keep any water leaks from getting to surrounding walls or underneath cabinetry.  I use it to improve sealing of outdoor Xmas light control modules, to stop internal circuit board corrosion.  It’s not electrically conductive and has lots of uses I dream up. 

But capping the tube tightly is essential, or it sets up a bit in the tube neck.  The next use may require squeezing out the first inch or two to get to less viscous, more workable product.  I squeeze to fill the tube’s neck, replace the cap, then add an extra rubber “condom” or tape over the cap to keep air out.

Sorry... I got sidelined way off topic again.  Fewer words is usually better. 

It’s Gerald’s fault!    ;D  He clued us into Lexel years ago  ;).

The pucker shown in photo 2 worked easily back in place with the right tools.

-Joel
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 12:04:03 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Andrew Shoen

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 12:34:24 AM »
I ordered 5 Amber and 5 Red lights from Mike at BCS. Shipping tomorrow.

Thanks for the input everyone.
C9