Author Topic: air leak  (Read 3272 times)

David Stiles

air leak
« on: December 05, 2019, 06:12:31 AM »
When I level out, I loose air in the drivers rear. It didn't do this when I bought it back in Sept. of this year. The air Gage on the dash will loose all of its air pressure in just a few hours. I've read where people check the lines with soap and water, but no one tells what to do while under the coach to keep safe so the RV doesn't settle on me! It might be something silly, but my problem didn't start until the dealership changed the air dryer filter. I don't hear any air leaking from it.  While at the beach for Thanksgiving I was camped on a level site. I would have to air up around twelve a.m. and again in the early morning to keep everything from rolling to the drivers side not to mention the blood in my head since my headboard is on that side.
Thanks for everyone's help in advance,
David Stiles
2005 Ventura II Monterey
No Jacks Just Air Bags

jeffprupis

Re: air leak
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 02:07:14 PM »
Again, same coach (and same problem) HWH six-pack on DS has a leak. HWH in Moscow IA well worth a visit if in the area. Quick, fast and cheap repair for them. Otherwise any shop that does chassis work should be able to do. As far as keeping the coach from coming down on you - hydraulic jacks (20 ton) and stands. Not in my wheelhouse.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 02:50:59 PM by Jeff Prupis »

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 02:31:37 PM »
The HWH leveling system has a 12V electric air compressor that should turn on (when in Auto-leveling mode) to provide air when the tank air is too low to keep the air bag full. Have you seen this compressor? I guess yours is not working. Mine is in the front left next to generator slide (some are in the rear).

When I work under my coach, I first drive it up on my home-made wooden ramps. This gives me enough room to get under (or out from under) the coach if the air bags are completely deflated. I don't put any jack stands under the coach unless I removing a tire or some part that could crush me if the suspension drops/fails. If I'm just greasing or such, I just drive up on the ramps and go under. But I am also aware of where the crush zones are and keep out of those areas. If your unsure of what/where these crush zones are, then you should probably have someone else do your servicing/repairs to be safe.

Will Hansen

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 05:22:58 PM »
David,
You probably have an aux air compressor to compensate for leaks. And I’d lay a bet that it has a blown fuse or, worst case has given up the ghost trying to keep up with your air leak. So plan A would be to hunt for the fuse and if it’s blown be sure to replace it with the proper amperage one for your compressor (look on the compressor label). Then, if the new one blows or the compressor doesn’t come on, or comes on and never stops (until it blows the fuse again) then replacing the compressor would be a good thing. Then, in the middle of the night you’ll hear the compressor come on instead of your head hitting the headboard :-). And you can get your leak fixed when convenient.
-Will
Will and Carla Hansen
Zoe the Yorkie-Pom (ol' Eagle Bait)
2007 Contessa Laguna
C9 400hp Cat
2015 RAM 1500

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 02:34:27 PM »
David, I assume you have a HWH leveling system with solenoids and pressure switches, if you have Nason pressure switches I would almost bet that is one source of your air leak and good source is the push to connect air fittings they used building these coaches. On my 06 PT I have rebuilt all the air switches except one.
I made struts from 2",3/16"sq tube to hold the suspension up so one can drain all the air and safety get under the coach without it coming down on me.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 05:43:12 PM by Lee Welbanks »