Author Topic: completely dead  (Read 2332 times)

George Frudakis

completely dead
« on: December 10, 2019, 11:37:16 PM »
Up at 4 am, drove to the storage and put the key into my beaver and nothing. No power to be found. I tried to hold down the jump ass, using all the batteries to start still noting. Oh, by the way, the coach was plugged into 50 amp the entire time. What's going on HELP.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: completely dead
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 12:02:09 AM »
George,
If the coach is plugged into 50 Amps, either the transfer switch has failed, which is causing the battery charger to not to function, or the battery charger has failed, or the battery charger was not turned on.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Andrew Shoen

George Frudakis

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 02:17:09 AM »
I check the battery charger first. I hope that's the problem. What is the best way to check the transfer switch?
Thanks for the help.

George

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 03:55:16 AM »
George,
First thing make sure the breaker on the shore power post is on. Next, check for good power at the shore power post with a meter.  There are 4 terminals on the shore power receptacle. You should read 110 VAC between the top terminal and one of the side terminals. You should also read 110 VAC between the bottom terminal and the other side terminal. Then check that all the AC breakers in the coach are on. Next,verify that the inverter and battery charger are on, assuming they were on when you left the coach. If they are not on, don't turn them on unless you have verified that power at the post is good because if there is a problem there you could fry the inverter. If the input power is OK, see if all the lights and the ACs run. If your transfer switch has failed, one of the ACs will not run. Again, don't try this until you are sure the shore power is OK.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Paul Meehan, Andrew Shoen

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 03:28:40 PM »
Are you getting power to both sides of the solenoid with the key in the on position in the electrical panel under the drivers seat area?  Do you have 12 volts at the batteries and to the left side of the solenoid?  If you have low voltage it will not allow the solenoid to activate.  I found this out he hard way.  Did any of your dash lights come on when you turned the key on?  Working  back from there you may need to verify that your ignition switch is working correctly.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 06:35:49 PM »
 Same thing happened to me only I was parked at a fueling station and the coach would not start again. All power was off to the front. It turned out to be the battery disconnect switch by the batteries had gone bad. It was an easy fix.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 12:48:33 AM »
My coach has two 300 Amp fuses one on the battery side and one on the chassis battery side on my coach these are mounted on the forward fire wall under the bed .
Good luck
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Richard Muha

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 08:39:00 PM »
Just happened to me as well at a fueling station.  A battery wire that is connected to the side of one of the 3 engine batteries had come undone. I’d never seen a battery connection on the batteries side before, but once connected to a top post, it started right up.  The area where it had been connected on the side of the AGM battery was now damaged (melted) where it bolted in.  I’ll need to swap the middle battery and re-connect to the side.