Author Topic: air Bags  (Read 4353 times)

Grant Hayden

• BAC Member
air Bags
« on: January 07, 2020, 04:16:38 PM »
does anyone know the part numbers for the front and rear air bags on my 2006 Monterey ?  or a number and price for a replacemnt.
thanks
Grant
2006 Monterey
C9 400hp
The following users thanked this post: Andrew Shoen

Mike Shumack

Re: air Bags
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 05:42:37 PM »
This is the info I have.
I have not replaced mine yet - but these are supposed to be the correct part numbers.

The main difference between the front and rear air bags is the spacing of the top mounting studs.

Please verify these part numbers before ordering.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 05:48:02 PM by Mike Shumack »

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 05:54:05 PM »
Grant, On my 06 Patriot Thunder the front Firestone Airide Springs are W01-358-8897 they have a 3/4" Jic air fittings in the top. The rears are Firestone Airide Springs W01-358-9376 and these have a 1/4" air fittings. I know this for a fact as I have the right front bag out right now, new to arrive tomorrow.
The fronts are $240 each from Michigan Spring and the rears are $130 ea.
About the only way to tell which bags your coach has is to remove one, the numbers are on a tag on the top of the bag. My coach is much heavier than yours so the bags may be different. BCS maybe can tell you which ones you have.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 07:10:48 PM »
Not sure this will help, but page 3 of the document may offer ID guidance. https://www.macpek.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Firestone-ballons.pdf

Or call Firestone:  1-800-888-0650

Joel

Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gary Donges

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 06:36:15 PM »
I also need some air bag replacement P/N help. I sent a message to Mike Shumack a few minutes ago but thought it a good idea to do a reply.

I see Mike Shumack posted Goodyear air bag part numbers for another BAC Member that has a 2006 Monterey. My RV is a 2006 Beaver Patriot Thunder LexingtonIV with a Roadmaster S-Series chassis and tag axle. The airbags are failing one at a time, all are badly and deeply checked. I am having trouble coming up with part numbers for the bags, I see a post by Lee Welbanks that says his same year Patriot Thunder uses Firestone and he provides P/N's he saw with his own eyes for his RV. To confirm, I called Beaver Coach Sales longtime parts dept. guy Mike, that says the replacements he has in stock (at $386 each) are Goodyear and that they have tried the Firestone and they don't fit. BCS would only give me their internal part number of BCS1954 which he said fits all positions, the only difference is air inlet size. I'm trying to find a reasonably priced alternative. Can you help identify the air bags I need for my coach. It will be greatly appreciated.

Gary Donges, BAC Member
dgary82@gmail.com
Cell: 510-468-6552
Gary Donges
Beaver Patriot Thunder Lexington IV 2006 40ft. (2017-    )
C13 Cat
Lake Almanor, CA
The following users thanked this post: Andrew Shoen

Mandy Canales

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 07:28:02 PM »
Gary...contact Roy Mueller as he knows of a source in Michigan for air bags.  Good luck.
Mandy Canales
90 Beaver Marquis 40'
Cat 3208
Charter Member
Apple Valley, CA
The following users thanked this post: Gary Donges

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 08:18:02 PM »
I also need some air bag replacement P/N help. I sent a message to Mike Shumack a few minutes ago but thought it a good idea to do a reply.

I see Mike Shumack posted Goodyear air bag part numbers for another BAC Member that has a 2006 Monterey. My RV is a 2006 Beaver Patriot Thunder LexingtonIV with a Roadmaster S-Series chassis and tag axle. The airbags are failing one at a time, all are badly and deeply checked. I am having trouble coming up with part numbers for the bags, I see a post by Lee Welbanks that says his same year Patriot Thunder uses Firestone and he provides P/N's he saw with his own eyes for his RV. To confirm, I called Beaver Coach Sales longtime parts dept. guy Mike, that says the replacements he has in stock (at $386 each) are Goodyear and that they have tried the Firestone and they don't fit. BCS would only give me their internal part number of BCS1954 which he said fits all positions, the only difference is air inlet size. I'm trying to find a reasonably priced alternative. Can you help identify the air bags I need for my coach. It will be greatly appreciated.

Gary Donges, BAC Member
dgary82@gmail.com
Cell: 510-468-6552

Gary, You need to get a look at your front bags if they have 3/4 hose with JIC fittings on the end the Firestone bags that I used are the correct ones. I think some of the 06 coaches had the large air lines and some did not, the rears all have 1/4" supply lines. My coach was built in Nov 05 so it is a early 06 model.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 03:05:33 PM »

My RV is a 2006 Beaver Patriot Thunder LexingtonIV with a Roadmaster S-Series chassis and tag axle.
I see a post by Lee Welbanks that says his same year Patriot Thunder uses Firestone and he provides P/N's he saw with his own eyes for his RV.

Lee's post has these numbers (for '06 Patriot) - front Firestone Airide Springs are W01-358-8897 they have a 3/4" Jic air fittings in the top.
The rears are Firestone Airride Springs W01-358-9376 and these have a 1/4" air fittings.

I looked up the dimensions in the on-line Firestone catalog. For the Rears (W01-358-9376) it shows the air bag diameter is 9" and the top bolt spacing is 4.12". That does not seem correct. There was no info on the other/font airbags (although the part number Lee gave does come up in the search - there is no drawing). It shows that the same bellows is used for front and rear part numbers. So does that mean the rears are 9" diameter too? That doesn't sound right - but should be easy to check with a tape measure.

The info I posted earlier was just based off other peoples postings. But I'm not sure it is correct to say those parts (Goodyear 1R11-121 and 1R12-492) also apply to 2006+ PT and Marquis because prior to 2006 the Beavers used the SMC Magnum chassis, and in 2006 Beaver switched to the Roadmaster S-series chassis (So airbags may be different).

Note that in the Goodyear p/n the "11" and "12" in the 1R11 and 1R12 refer to the air bag diameter. Possibly Monaco went to a 9" air bag on the s-series chassis. I don't know. Can someone measure and report back?

The attachments below show the Firestone cross over to Goodyear for the 1998-2005 Beavers.
And the Firestone drawing per "Lee's post" for 2006 Patriot.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 03:17:18 PM by Mike Shumack »

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 03:16:00 PM »
With these air bag suspensions about the only sure way to know what was installed on the day you coach was built is to remove the bag and look at the number tag on the top. I can say from experience that changing the front bags on a 06 PT is a rear bear, not for the novice.

Gary Donges

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 06:47:52 PM »
All 10 of my air bags were replaced last week. Original to my RV were Monaco 01804591 per tag on the bag's metal mounting flange. On the side of the original bag was 9 9-12 P 730. Turns out the original bags were Contitech P/N 64664 which took quite a bit of detective work to verify. The same P/N was mounted on all positions of my RV from the factory and replaced with all same P/N's as well. Fit was perfect, all studs and fittings lined up. Front air bags used the larger air supply line and all the rear bags used the smaller air supply line with a factory installed adapter to accommodate the larger input on the bag.

It may also be useful to know my RV was built in May 2006
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 06:55:33 PM by Gary Donges »
Gary Donges
C13 Cat
Lake Almanor, CA

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 06:57:38 PM »
Gary, Would you mind me asking who it was who replaced your air bags?
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Gary Donges

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 07:01:21 PM »
I used a local HD truck repair outfit in Chico, CA. Jeff's Truck Service. (530) 895-8070‬
Gary Donges
C13 Cat
Lake Almanor, CA

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2020, 02:39:40 AM »
I'm afraid to ask what that job cost? Glad you had a good experience with Jeff's.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2020, 11:40:08 AM »
Lee
Please describe how you jacked up the rig and what blocking you used  and how it was placed.
I assume you had a cement pad to work on ? 
Did you replace the Monaco snap on fittings with older style as has been suggested before?
What issues are likely to come up?
Thanks
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2020, 06:13:31 PM »
Keith,

I am not sure how your PT differs from my Patriot Savannah, but I do know that they do have several differences.

That being said when changing my air bags, I did have a concrete pad, and made ramps to raise the tires up another 4 1/2 inches off the concrete.  From there with the coach still aired up I wedged in blocks of 6x6 lumber under the rear frames near the air bags and used 2 bottle jacks between the frames on the front.  I also added cribbing between the 2 jacks as a safety measure.

From there I could air down the Coach and it was still supported at ride height or a little more.  Getting to the air bags can be easy or a real bear!  I am sure this would be easier with the wheels and tires off, but it can be done without.  The panels covering the airbags will hinge up, but access can still be tight.  That and some connections will want to stay connected.  Hope this helps you some,
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126