Author Topic: Dash Ac Compressor part number??  (Read 3396 times)

Dwight Wilson

• BAC Member
Dash Ac Compressor part number??
« on: January 12, 2020, 06:09:40 PM »
Hi Folks,
I was having the oil changed on my coach in Tucson at Lazy Days last week and the technician noticed oil leaking from the belt driven, engine mounted,  A/C compressor,  indicating it likely needs to be replaced. Unfortunately the label on the compressor is illegible other that it is a Sanden unit. Can someone with an 05 C13 take a peek to let me know what the model number and manufacturer of their AC compressor is? Pretty easy to see as it is mounted above the alternator. The label on mine was on the top side of the compressor.
I will have a shop replace it as I don't have the equipment to recharge the R134 but I want to make sure I get the correct compressor.
Thanks for any assistance,
Dwight
Dwight Wilson
Calgary, Alberta
05 Patriot Thunder C13 Cat

Lee Welbanks

Re: Dash Ac Compressor part number??
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 08:46:51 PM »
On my 06 PT I replaced the A/C compressor last year, it was Sanden 4420 there are many places to get one around $240, I got one from a ebay dealer. Have to be careful removing the four long mounting bolts, I have one break off and had a fun time getting it out.
The following users thanked this post: Dwight Wilson

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 03:31:43 PM »
Is the dash AC working now?

Sometimes a small leak/stain can last for years before anything needs to be done. Maybe you just need to top-up the refrigerant (a R134a + oil charge). Unless you are very proactive - I would wait for the system to stop working - and not replace parts due to "just" a mechanic spotting an oil leak.

Dwight Wilson

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 09:27:25 PM »
Thanks Guys,
 I wouldn't be too concerned if was just a bit misty but it is leaking pretty bad so I would prefer to replace it before it seizes and takes out the belt and/or starts sending nasty little bits into the system. I think I can find a mobile A/C service here in Tucson where I am parked for the next few weeks. I will check out the Sanden 4420 as suggested. If anyone else has a different model number in their C13, I would appreciate hearing about it.
Regards
Dwight
Dwight Wilson
Calgary, Alberta

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 09:39:13 PM »
Dwight

I went through an A/C compressor change and I strongly recommend to make sure you get a "Sanden" made in the U.S.
I did a bit of research and took recommendation to stay away from the Chinese made compressors which go by the names
"Sanden Like" or "Sanden Type", once again these are Chinese manufactured. In talking to a Distributor and rebuild facility for Sanden, you will have better assurance of tolerances that Sanden USA expects.
            Also, the facility I had do the work didn't listen to me when I told them I wanted only a Sanden U.S.made. We ended up in a big Pow Wow with the managers. Needless to say, they removed the chinese version and installed what I insisted on.
            Acparts 1-866-772-5502 was the source I purchased from.
  Good Luck
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 01:45:59 AM »
Dwight, I would get the compressor replace now because you know if you do not it will go south and lockup take out the belt and of course you will be 40 miles from the middle of nowhere.
If you were up here in Wickenburg I would do the change out, it's really a easy job just takes some time pumping the system down and a hold test. Yours should take about 4 lbs of R134A probably a bit over, mine took 4.2 lbs and blows 40 degrees out of the dash.

Dwight Wilson

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 06:49:39 PM »
Hi again, I have sourced the compressor for about $225.00 but think I should replace the dessicant filter as well but cannot find the critter. I think it should be up front above the genset but of course one needs to be a contortionist to even get your head in there. Any advice?
thanks
Dwight
Dwight Wilson
Calgary, Alberta

Mike Shumack

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 07:28:37 PM »
My Dryer is located next to the Condenser, to the right of generator (driver's side).

Dwight Wilson

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 08:55:30 PM »
Thanks a bunch Mike, I will crawl under and take a peek. The RV service place is suggesting about 10 hours for replacing the compressor, evacuating, charging, and testing. This seems like a lot of labour to me. Thoughts??
Dwight Wilson
Calgary, Alberta

Dwight Wilson

• BAC Member
Re: follow up on Dash Ac Compressor repair
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 08:23:08 PM »
I just thought I would let everyone know of the great service I received at WW Williams Truck repair in Tucson. I obtained the Sanden AC compressor in advance and made an appointment to have it replaced , the AC lines checked and pressurized, and a new Receiver Dryer installed. They estimated between 3 and 5 hours labour and completed the work in about 4 hours which included cutting off and replacing a seized connector on one of the coolant lines. I thought it was all very fair and their shop is extremely clean and modern. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. They even have hook ups on site and offered to let us spend the night. The previous estimate I had received was from the largest RV dealer in the area and they suggested 10 hours minimum at $149.00 per hour. Just ridiculous so it does pay to shop around.
Kudos to Adam and Desaray, and of course the RV tech at WW Williams. They do all service including AquaHot, engine/transmission repairs, alignments, etc.
Dwight Wilson
Calgary, Alberta

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2020, 10:56:40 PM »
Dwight, good to hear that you got your A/C back in shape. It is usually a good idea to avoid some of the bigger RV dealers, I've heard a couple of real bad stories about a couple here in the Phoenix area, WW Williams has sites around the country and I've heard that they do good work.
Thanks for the update.