Author Topic: Filters for 06 Monterey with CAT C-9  (Read 2857 times)

Andrew Shoen

• BAC Member
Filters for 06 Monterey with CAT C-9
« on: January 23, 2020, 01:02:31 PM »
I have been on the road for months now and the miles are adding up quickly. I was going to wait until April at BCS to do oil and filter change, but I think I want to get it changed while on the road. I don't want to wait for close to 10K miles. I would rather change it around 6K.

Here is my question.... I want to order the filter(s) and find a quality mobile service to do the work.

What are the filters you would change with the oil, besides the oil filter, and which filters would be ok waiting until my BCS appt?  BCS will change the oil and filter around April/May.  Part numbers would be greatly appreciated.

Also does anyone know a quality mobile service?  I will be staying at the Thousand Trails Campground just outside of Orlando for a week or so, and was wanting to return to California with clean oil.

Thanks.
2006 Beaver Monterey Pacifica
C9

Mike Shumack

Re: Filters for 06 Monterey with CAT C-9
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 02:12:53 PM »
The oil filter is a CAT 1R-0716 (Standard Efficiency) or 1R-1808 (High Efficiency).
I would also change the secondary fuel filter, a CAT 1R-0751, with each oil change.

Then check/replace your air filter, primary fuel filter, air-drier filter, and change transmission oil/filter according to the maintenance intervals in the OEM manual. Also don't forget to check the coolant level and condition.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 02:30:39 PM by Mike Shumack »
The following users thanked this post: Andrew Shoen

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 02:25:02 PM »
Andrew,
If you are at 6K now and will be at BCS at under 10K, IMHO, don't mess with it. Even Dave recommends C9 service around 8K. If you are going to  get it serviced in FL, check the Service Providers Guide on the Private Members Only board. There are a number of FL providers with both good and bad ratings. As to filters, check your Owner's manual. It will list part numbers and change interval. If you are going to BCS for service later in the year, I'd only change oil and fuel filters, (primary and secondary). Be sure to take an oil sample. Leave the air filter as is unless the indicator shows it needs changing. Why trust a relatively unknown service provider any more than you absolutely have to??
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks, Andrew Shoen

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 03:02:33 PM »
Andrew,
Cat list the recommended oil change interval on your engine of 10,000 miles or one year. In my opinion, since your engine is not ran under a heavy load at a high percentage of time or in an extreme environment (high dust or heat), changing your oil at 6,000 mile intervals will be a waste of money unless you are exceeding the 1 year mark or an oil analysis indicates it. Cat set the recommended oil change interval on your engine to ensure the maximum engine life, so changing the oil nearly twice as often is no needed. If you are concerned about your oil condition, send in an oil sample for analysis. Spending around $25 for an analysis is much more informative and cost effective than a $300 oil change that is not needed.

Gerald

jeffprupis

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 05:11:05 PM »
From my 2005 Monterey Owners Manual

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 04:20:34 AM »
Take Gerald’s admonition to heart, otherwise you’re wasting time and money.  Whatever you do, Andrew, don’t let a mechanic talk you into anything but CAT filters, especially fuel: 1R-0751 and 1R-0781. 

Actually my owner’s book says Racor R90T for the primary fuel filter, but stick with CAT 1R-0781. 

Oil:  CAT 1R0716.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Andrew Shoen

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 11:30:10 AM »
Thanks guys.
I did all the fluids and filters. Fuel, air dryer, oil, and air.  Had the trans flushed, radiator flushed, new belts and hoses, etc when I bought it a back in Sept.
I know the shop used NAPA filters, on oil, and fuel. I guess I will wait till BCS for service.

I have always believed that dirt causes friction and friction causes wear, so if the oil is cleaner with less dirt.....
2006 Beaver Monterey Pacifica
C9

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 01:12:33 PM »
Not that BCS won’t do a good job, but my personal experience was that Peterson Cat in Redmond was less expensive.  Being that they are more chassis/engine specific than BCS, with CAT techs they were quicker too.  That’s probably why it cost less.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat