Author Topic: Fresh Water Pump Replacement  (Read 2265 times)

Don White

• BAC Member
Fresh Water Pump Replacement
« on: January 23, 2020, 03:03:31 PM »
Hi,

I believe the fresh water pump in my coach is starting to fail.  When on the pump the water flow pulsates and sputters from air in the line. 

From reading the literature that I received when I bought the coach it appears it came originally with a Aqua Jet pump , 55-Aquajet ORV/ARV Series rated at 5.3 GPM.  The current pump in the coach is a Shureflow rated at 3.3 GPM.

I am thinking of replacing the failing Sureflow pump with a new Remco Aqua Jet pump.

Curious if anyone has any experience with this type of situation that they can share.

Thanks,

Don
Don White
2006 Marquis Jade IV C13
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Hydralift
2006 HD Fat Boy
1997 Safari Serengetti

Mike Shumack

Re: Fresh Water Pump Replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 03:16:26 PM »
I was also having a similar "pulsing" problem with my pump. Be sure to check the water pump inlet filter/screen for blockage before condemning the pump.
I considered replacing it with a Remco pump but I decided to just rebuild the pump instead. A new pump "head assembly" is available (on Amazon) for around $50 (a new Remco pump is about three times that cost).

If you go with the Remco, be sure you have the 10 Amp (or 15A) Intellitec latching controller. The Remco ORV/ARV pump draws up to 10 amps.

From the Remco website:
(“55AQUAJET ORV and ARV SERIES” ONLY):
1. Determine whether or not your RV is currently using an ‘Intellitec’
pump controller (i.e. three or more “momentary” type switches
which can be used to turn the pump on/off.). There are at least four
(4) different types of Intellitec controllers currently in use, but not
all of them can be used with the Aquajet RV. Specifically, only a
four terminal, 10 or 15 Amp rated Intellitec controller can be used
to directly control the Aquajet RV. Intellitec 7 Amp, 3 Amp or nonrated
controllers should NEVER be used to switch the load of the
Aquajet RV.

The Intellitec controllers are typically located in the pump compartment
(on some Fleetwood vehicles, however, they are located near the circuit
breaker panel under the refrigerator). Once
you’ve located the controller, before taking anything apart, make a
sketch of the existing wiring including the colors of the wires and how
they are attached. If you do have an Intellitec controller that does not
say either “10 Amp” or “15 Amp” on the label, then you must either:
a. Replace it with a 10 or 15 Amp rated controller. For your
convenience, Intellitec’s phone number is 1-800-251-2408.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 03:28:04 PM »
Don,
I have used the variable speed 5.3 GPM Aqua Jet pump for years, and the only negative that I have found is that they are expensive. The Aqua Jet pump has a higher pressure rating at 65 PSI and this combined with the variable speed and high volume gives you the closest to residential water supply of any RV water pump.

Gerald 
The following users thanked this post: Don White

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 05:47:56 PM »
Don,
Aqua Jet is a great pump but  be aware that if you buy it on Amazon, Aqua Jet may not warrantee it. I ran into this a couple of years ago. At that time, Aqua Jet told me they could not come to agreement with Amazon on a contract and that Amazon was purchasing the pump from other suppliers, which voided their original purchaser warrantee. Not sure if this is still the situation but a call to Aqua Jet might save you some future hassles.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Don White

Jerry Pattison

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 01:59:52 AM »
In looking into the Aqua Jet pump, it says we need an Intellitec 10 Amp controller.  Geez, do I have that controller in my 98 Marquis?

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 12:34:47 PM »
We have the Aqua Jet.  Last summer it was 10 yrs old and the check valve was a problem.  The new one works great.  Take several pictures showing the plumbing and wiring but it is pretty simple replacement.
The Jobasco air tank was as much of the problem and it had failed some long time ago.  When the bladder inside goes it cant hold the air pressure (10 lbs. I think).  Now that bit of constant pressure on the water system makes the whole thing way better.
Lastly while you are in there you might go ahead and replace the Red Hat valve if it is getting on as it is part of the plumbing right with the pump and the Jobasco.
Good luck
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 01:06:05 PM by Carol Moffett »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 03:28:00 PM »
Hi you post indicates that you may be getting air in the line. That can indicate a leak on the input side of the pump. When the pump actuates it creates negative pressure on the input side and draws air in to the system. The pumps on these things use a pressure switch to turn on and off and air in the lines will cause some funky performance. The hose connections are generally hand style and as the age have a tendency to loosen and or the rubber gasket to shrink. I would check to make sure that all tight. A fitting that has an air leak may not show a water leak if the negative pressure when the pump is running is a higher magnitude that the head pressure of the water tank when it is not, so looking for a leak is not necessarily an indication of tightness of the connection. You really need to give them a twist.     
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 04:49:16 PM »
Jerry,
Your 98 Marquis has a 10 amp water pump controller.

Gerald