Author Topic: ABS Sensors Part Numbers?  (Read 2310 times)

Lonne Mays

ABS Sensors Part Numbers?
« on: January 24, 2020, 12:22:11 AM »
I have damaged my ABS sensors from overheating my brakes coming down a long grade without the pacbrake working.  (Both rear sensors had fallen out of their mounting sleeve and banged around against the tires and came apart into bundles of twisted fine magnet wire.  I haven't checked the front ones, but I plan on replacing all four.)  My 99 Contessa Naples, Magnum chassis, has the Wabco ABS controller, so I imagine the ABS sensors are probably Wabco as well, but I don't know the part number or how to locate it.  I see several devices on line that look like they might be similar, but the remains of the sensors are so mangled (half of them broken off) that I can't really visually verify. 

Does anyone know what the part numbers might be for the rear ABS sensors and the front ABS sensors?
(P.S. I visually checked my rotors, and also felt their surfaces, and they are smooth and without checking or discoloration from the overheating, and my brakes have been working fine the 1000+ miles since the overheating.  I think the overheating was just enough to cause the sleeve that holds the sensors to expand and allow the sensors to loosen and fall out of the sleeve, leaving them to dangle free and bang against the tires until they were physically destroyed.)

Mike Shumack

Re: ABS Sensors Part Numbers?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 11:21:53 AM »

Lonne Mays

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 01:34:45 PM »
Hi Mike,
Yes, thanks, I have read that thread (as well as all the other forum threads that came up with a search using "ABS sensor" as the keywords).  I am trying to find the specific part numbers to order for my rig (99 Contessa Naples, Magnum chassis).  I'm hoping someone has already gone through this with the same rig as mine, and can tell me what part numbers to order.  I have already determined that there are at least 3 or 4 different sensors that look just like mine.  Maybe they are interchangeable? 

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 03:10:53 PM »
I had an overheated front brake also and had to replace the front one...

front ABS sensor on my 2001 Contessa was part number: 16617181

rear ABS sensor is part number: 16616424

Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Lonne Mays

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 06:00:21 PM »
Hi LaMonte,
do you know what manufacturer that 16616424 part number is for (Wabco, Eaton, Bendix, etc.)??  Where did you purchase the part?

Lonne Mays

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 09:31:19 PM »
OK, I crawled under the coach and disconnected and removed one of the damaged rear ABS sensors (see attached picture).  I read the number imprinted directly on the wire and it is marked on the senor wire as: WABCO 4410328090.  I called several truck parts dealers here in Chandler AZ (where we are staying for another week to visit with friends and meet up with former work colleagues), and found one (Midco Truck Parts in Chandler) that had them in stock for under $40 ea.  These are genuine WABCO (made in Germany) OEM parts, and the parts guy told me that they can be ordered by another number: R955336.

I have also attached a picture of the new sensor and the spring sleeve that is used to hold it in place.  Now all I have to do is have someone tell me how to insert the sensor back in the wheel.  I.e., does the sleeve go in first and then the sensor get pressed into place?  Or does one put the sleeve around the sensor and then insert the combination in one motion?  Does anyone know the proper procedure/technique? 

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 10:05:24 PM »
I have never installed one of these but I found a video that has almost identical looking parts which shows how to install the ABS sensors.  It may help answer your questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOOzyZH1oOI

Also, this file shows the Wabco sensor installation.

http://beamalarm.com/Documents/installation_instructions_for_meritor_wabco_wheel_speed_sensor_replacement_kit.html
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!