Author Topic: Stripped Wiper Shafts  (Read 2894 times)

Trige Gleim

• BAC Member
Stripped Wiper Shafts
« on: January 25, 2020, 10:27:23 PM »
I'm trying to find replacement wiper shafts for my 07 Beaver Contessa due to the splines being stripped. Under the current condition the wiper arms will not stay securely locked in place causing a safety issue when operating the wipers.  The wiper arm splines are also stripped so I need wiper arms. Does anybody have knowledge as to where these can be purchased?  The part number for the wiper subassembly is 238-1896/909309296. The aforementioned part number is a child part to the entire wiper assembly.  Out of this subassembly, all I really need are the shafts so I don't want to buy the entire subassembly if I don't have to.  AM equipment is the manufacturer and I plan on calling them Monday but I thought I'd throw this out to our club in the event someone has previous experience in this area.  I've attached a picture of the subassy part number and the shafts by themselves to give you a visual.  Again, I'd like to buy just the shafts and wiper arms if possible.  Thank you.
Trige and Lezli Gleim
2007 Beaver Contessa 42' Westport IV
CAT C9 400HP, 4 slides, tag axle
2011 CR-V

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Stripped Wiper Shafts
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 11:17:54 PM »
You can try NW RV Supply, but calling AM as planned is likely a good idea.

Also try to determine what caused that much wear/stripping.

http://www.nwrvsupply.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SRCH

https://www.amequipment.com/commercial-duty-wiper-assemblies?rq=2P%20

Joel

Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 11:51:10 PM »
Trige,
I had a similar problem with one of my wiper arms. The problem can be that the splines on the shafts get partially filled with metal from the arms and since the splines are so shallow, they tend to lose their ability to engage and hold the arm in place. I resolved the issue by vigorously cleaning the shaft splines with a wire brush. It didn't appear to have changed anything but after reinstalling the arm and torqueing to spec, the arm has worked with no problem for over a year. You may also need to clean (or replace) the arm to get it to grip properly.
Steve.
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Paul Aronson

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 02:47:23 AM »
Had the same problem. As a temporary fix I mounted the wiper arms in their proper location, tightened the nut then drilled a hole through the wiper arm and the shaft then put in a roll pin. Worked quite a while but did replace the parts.
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder Winchester III
45' C-13 525 Hp
2013 Chevy Traverse

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 12:29:30 PM »
What are you torquing the wiper-arm retaining nut to? If the Nut is under torqued it can slip on the shaft.

In the link (to AM Equipment) the "230 Unitized" engineer drawing lists the spec as 18 lb-ft torque for the shaft nut.
The other engineering drawing at the AM Equipment link (attached below) shows the nut torques to be 20+/- or 25+/- for the tapered shafts.

However I'm not sure which model Wiper assembly our/my coach is using. Probably the 230 Unitized.

Trige Gleim

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 09:20:05 PM »
AM Equipment has the parts I need.  All I really want are new wiper shafts and wiper arms.  They will sell me wiper arms but will not sell me just the shafts.  They will only sell the entire wiper motor assembly at a cost of $500.  What I'm going to do is clean the current shafts as best I can and then install new wiper arms.  Hopefully this takes care of the problem. Thanks to all for the input.
Trige and Lezli Gleim
2007 Beaver Contessa 42' Westport IV
CAT C9 400HP, 4 slides, tag axle
2011 CR-V

Paul Aronson

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 03:43:20 AM »
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder Winchester III
45' C-13 525 Hp
2013 Chevy Traverse