Author Topic: Leaks found  (Read 2910 times)

Jason Worman

Leaks found
« on: January 31, 2020, 06:57:04 PM »
Hi All,

So after alot of trial and error and lots of rain we have found that the leaks plaguing our old 1991 Contessa are the metal trim pieces that attach between the walls and the roof. We removed them all in 2018, scraped the old buytl tape off down to bare metal. We reinstalled with EternaBond; having read it was the best. For now we have a narrow strip of thick clear plastic covering metal track. Any recommendations for a sealant/tape to replace the EternaBond with? Will be removing the trim this spring once more once we have a good warm stretch of weather.

Thanks
Jason Worman

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: Leaks found
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 08:28:07 PM »
When you say eternabond are you referring to the tape?  If so that stuff is hard to remove once it's there.  Most I have talked to consider it a permanent fix.  I would probably use a cheaper version of eternabond tape for a temp fix because I would not expect it last that long.  I think you are talking about the belt lines.  Duct tape would probably last a couple months and be easier to remove.  Just a thought.  Good luck.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 11:19:44 PM »
Jason,
Am I correct in assuming the strips you are referring to are on the vertical outer walls a few inches below the roof radius? If so, can you tell where specifically the leaks are occurring? Is the eterna-bond tape torn or delaminated? Also, how are the metal strips attached to the walls? Are the leaks at the attachment points? Whatever you do, IMHO do not use Gorilla tape. It can take off the paint  when removed.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 11:31:28 PM »
We had a similar problem on our 98 and again on the 02.
The cure was to remove the gutters.  The double sticky tape behind it gets replaced and new stainless screws every 4 or 6 inches.  BCS uses a sealant called Acrylar quite often but it's that or Lexal in my book.   Just run a bead along the top of the gutter.
I dont remember when they began recessing the patio awning but I believe yours is surface mounted.  If so that is no problem for you.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Jason Worman

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 11:41:06 PM »
Keith,

Thanks for the advice. Wish we had used the sealant plus the sticky tape in 2018 when we removed them the first time. Our mistake was using raised boxed screws when we reattached the gutter. Nothing like being a greenhorn!

Jason

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 11:02:45 AM »
I hope the advice helps.  A bit I forgot is to be sure to cover the screw heads with clear too or each one of those holes will leak.  I think BCS dipped the threads and ran down the screw then made sure the head was covered.  All stainless screws.
Good luck
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 02:23:56 PM »
I agree with Steve.  My suggestion was duct tape for a temp fix to keep water out until you can fix it in spring but Gorilla tape is strong!  It may pull up the whole roof!  (kidding on the roof part!)
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Jason Worman

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 04:16:36 PM »
Steve,
The metal trim runs horizontally below the metal track where the old Zip-Dee awning use to be, it runs front to back. The leaks over our back windows appear to be from the original build, for some reason they used two screws at angles instead of drilling straight in. When we bought the coach in 2018, we removed all the windows except the windshield and replaced and resealed them. The original butyl tape was pretty much dissolved, that took us several weeks. After that, we removed the metal strips, scraped off the dried butyl tape and replaced with new EternaBond. When reattaching the trim used new stainless steel screws with Lexal. We covered the heads with Lexal and popped back in the black rubber gutter and ran a bead of Lexal along the metal trim. In the fall the leaks started. We made it through our first winter here on the coast. For the longest time we thought the leaks were the original smaller window Zip- Dee awnings, these we also sealed with Lexal. The vertical metal strips we resealed with Lecal and have not had problems. For now we have a 4 inch wide strip of thick clear plastic running the width of the coach. Last summer we had a new full length Dometic awning where the original awning was. Not impressed with the install, had to go back and reseal around where he screwed bolts into coach. My wife mentioned we won't be attending any rallies until the leaks are fixed and plastic comes off the trim.  :)
Thanks
Jason