Author Topic: Need temporary leak repair  (Read 4334 times)

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Need temporary leak repair
« on: February 07, 2020, 02:33:40 AM »
 We are currently in Biloxi Mississippi staying for about 10 days and it has rained very hard the last couple days. Our slides have started to leak from the top and I am trying to figure out a way to stop it until we get back home for a permanent fix. I am fairly certain where the leaks are occurring from and was wondering if putting tape over that area would work temporarily. ... Maybe some duct tape???  or some waterproof tape from Lowes or Home Depot. Again it’s just until we get back home at the end of next week and I will scrape off all the old sealant up put on new permanent tape.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Bill Sprague

Re: Need temporary leak repair
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 03:02:55 AM »
Where is the leak?  Can you get it dry long enough for the tape to stick?
The following users thanked this post: Fred Cook

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 03:36:43 AM »
Where is the leak?  Can you get it dry long enough for the tape to stick?
[/quote

Hard to describe.... It’s at the very top of the slide along the outer edge where it is attached to the inner portion of the slide.
Fred & Cindy

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 03:56:04 AM »
If I recall, that rig had the deep vee slides.  If you can get it dry, I would try tape.  But, good tape can stick hard and be difficult to get off.

In our twelve years of Beaver ownership, new places to leak were routine.  All the seams and rivets have to be watertight.  Then the slide seals have to compress near perfectly with slide movement. 

I feel the pain and good luck!

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 11:47:55 AM »
You don't have slide toppers and is easy to see and reach on a ladder. Duct tape it until you are home. I would not use the cheap version of duct tape as it separates from the glue when exposed to ultraviolet light. I carry the Gorilla brand. Your coach is identical to Lamar's including the color.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 12:24:20 PM »
Fred,
If your leak is in a slide seal, you can just fully retract the slide to stop the leak. You will have a little less room inside, but it will stop the leak.

Gerald

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 01:40:13 PM »
OK, I am trying to post a photo from my iPad jof the top of my slide. Not sure that it will work. If it works you will be able to see that the previous owner applied Dicor sealant all the way down the length of the slide on the top outer edge and the sealant extends down into the V of the slide. Who ever applied it did a messy job of it!  It has worked the last couple years we have owned it but it has now failed and we are getting heavy rain again in the next couple days so... I need a temporary fix now until I get back home. Someone mentioned gorilla tape so I will try that.
I believe the only permanent fix to this is to remove the old sealant which will be extremely hard to do, and then clean it down really well and tape it. Do you agree?  I have already bought the special tape at camping world to do this and it was fairly expensive.
Fred & Cindy

Bill Sprague

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 03:43:56 PM »
You don't have slide toppers and is easy to see and reach on a ladder. Duct tape it until you are home. I would not use the cheap version of duct tape as it separates from the glue when exposed to ultraviolet light. I carry the Gorilla brand. Your coach is identical to Lamar's including the color.

Jim,

I used some "Gorilla brand" black tape to hold a refrigerator door just during our recent move to the retirement resort.  The glue aggressively stuck to the door.  I tried every solvent I had and it would not come off.  Be careful of that stuff.  The Gorilla can be fiercely permanent.

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 08:15:53 PM »
 I just made a temporary repair with the gorilla tape. I am hoping if that was the problem but will not know until it rains in about three days. Keeping my fingers crossed and hope to make it home with no more leaks next week. Thanks for everybody’s help. Fred
Fred & Cindy

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 11:21:26 PM »
Fred, try the Dkit Image Compress and Resize app (search the App Store).  Works great for me and my iPad.  You can hit its camera image at the head of its list of your album contents, and take an iPad photo that’ll directly then load into the app for processing.  Or you can choose any other existing album photo to change.

I usually just knock the original kilobytes down by simply moving the slider back to about 30%.  That usually gets the resolution under the 300kb maximum limit prescribed by this Forum for posting pix.  The app is relatively unique in that it actually tells you the original data load (kilobytes or megabytes) and the resulting data load of your slider use.  So if 30% isn’t enough or is too much, I can go back one page and move the slider accordingly.  My only gripe is I wish the slider was on the same page as the kB count.

I searched a lot of apps before finding this one.  Like most, there’s a learning curve, but it’s not encumbered with a lot of features I’d never use, and is focused on simply and easily changing the image size.  Just remember to hit the “Save” button afterward.  It keeps both the original and modified image versions in your album(s), side by side.  So you need to delete the original or remember which one is the most recent addition;  that I know of, iPad’s album doesn’t as yet allow naming pix to tell them apart.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 11:27:15 PM »
I have covered a leak area on top of the slide with a trash bag and taped it down. It stopped the leak.
Good luck,
Larry Fisk
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2020, 01:11:50 AM »
For anyone trying to loosen glue from either gorilla tape or the 3m film on the front end of our coaches use Xylene. It is the main ingredient in 3M adhesive remover. Wear heavy rubber gloves or you will get a nasty high not just from breathing but thru your skin. It will not hurt your paint.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Bill Sprague

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2020, 03:33:48 PM »
Xylene does not hurt paint!  Good to know.  Thanks.