Author Topic: Motion Control Units  (Read 2815 times)

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
Motion Control Units
« on: February 07, 2020, 04:37:35 PM »
I just had Motion Control Units (MTU’s) installed while having my slide seals replaced at Redlands Truck & RV. Wow, the ride quality has improved dramatically on our 2005 Patriot Thunder! Much better handling and ride. This was not an inexpensive add on but I’m glad I did it. One big factor for us was we plan on keeping this coach for a long while. We have owned it since 2009 and still love our “Thunder”. If you have ever considered this upgrade I definitely recommend it.
Safe Travels,
Larry Fisk
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Mike Shumack

Re: Motion Control Units
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 04:49:15 PM »
Larry, which model MTU did you get (I assume the over 30K, but what size air line)? I think the air lines going from the HWH leveling valve to air bags is 3/8".

Did you put a set on the front and rear axles? They're not cheap. Glad the worked for you.

What was the improvement (sway control)?

https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Motion-Control-Units

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 05:34:10 PM »
Hi there Mike, I had different sizes on each axle. Front was quarter inch, back was three eighths on drive and quarter inch on tag. You’re also right about not cheap, total bill, parts and labor was 1,800 dollars. I was debating if I should replace the shocks or add the MTU’s. I’m glad I went with the MTU’s. It made enough of a difference that I don’t feel the need to replace the shocks at this time. The brand I purchased are Super Steer. They used the under 30,000 units.
Larry Fisk
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 05:40:28 PM by Larry Fisk »
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 09:57:54 PM »
The MCU was engineered by Henderson’s in Grants Pass, OR, and is part of their SuperSteer line of chassis products.  Their different sizes are shown on a chart in the second link below (the linked page is for a specific model that may not be appropriate to your coach, so scroll down and reference the chart, or call Henderson’s).  Certified MCU retail locations are on a map on the SuperSteer page, although on some devices the map link may not work... again, call Henderson’s for a reference to someone available to you.

http://supersteer.wpengine.com/education/rpa/

https://supersteerparts.com/product/accessories/mcu/supersteer-motion-control-unit-38-30000-gvw/

https://www.hendersonslineup.com/

I had them put Koni’s and MCU’s on our Monty, and did their Road Performance Assessment where the steering was adjusted.  I didn’t think the MCU cost was all that bad, except that they’re small and seemingly innocuous;  perhaps Henderson’s techs are more experienced and did a quicker, less labor-costly job of it than most installers.  A Safe-T-Steer was also added.  It all does make a difference, especially in side-to-side “roll” in wind, passing trucks, and lane centering.

Joel
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 10:15:22 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 11:14:20 PM »
Haven't tried 'em, but Source Engineering in Eugene Or makes a similar "Comfort Ride Valve Kit".

http://sourcerv.com/valves
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 03:02:20 PM »
Out of curiosity I called Super Steer to find out what they would normally install on our coach which has a GVWR of 46,000. The answer was the less than 30K units on the front and more than 30K on the back. They explained the more than 30K could provide a harsher ride due to a more restrictive air orifice installed in the valve to further limit the air movement. They also explained having the less than 30K will not affect the safety of the coach at all. I then called Redlands truck and RV to get their answer as to why they installed the less than 30K all around. Their response was that with our coach being a 40 footer they felt the over 30K would have created too harsh a ride for us. Not sure if this is true but I did notice a dramatic difference for the better with the less than 30K all around, so maybe that's true.
Larry
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 03:43:33 PM »
Larry,

Being a Patriot Thunder I believe you have 10 air bags Correct?  So I am guessing that meant 10 Motion control units. 

I am considering getting these for my Patriot Savannah with 8 air bags.  Pretty sure mine all have 3/8 air lines going to them. I also have a GVWR 0f 30,000 lbs, and a GCWR of 35,000 lbs. 

It is very interesting that some recommend two different sized motion control units for the different axles.  For me it seems clear that the under 30K units would be the correct ones, but who knows.  It would actually be nice to be able to try out different units to see which yielded the best results. 

Thanks for sharing your experience, it will make spending the money easier when I do.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126
The following users thanked this post: Larry Fisk