Author Topic: Front & Rear Cap clear coat repair  (Read 4855 times)

Darrell Terry

• BAC Member
Front & Rear Cap clear coat repair
« on: February 08, 2020, 01:26:20 AM »
The clear coat is failing on the front & rear cap as well as the roof sides and front door of our 2004 Monterey.
Looking for a " reasonable" painter to repair this. Any suggestions or repair facilities appreciated.
I have heard that this can be reasonably be done in Mexico, but not sure I want to try that.
Any help, suggestions, and recommendations appreciated.
Darrell Terry
2004 Monterey
350 Cummins ISC

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Re: Front & Rear Cap clear coat repair
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 01:59:26 AM »
I just sanded and painted my sides and upper front and rear caps. also I sanded and painted the roof. For the roof I used rustoleum boat paint.
For the caps and sides I used Durabak coating, its used in truck beds and several other uses. Turned out well......
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 02:12:19 AM »
Mine is doing the same... top of the front cap up onto the painted roof section, ditto the rear, and now the side radius’.  Guaranty in Junction City, OR, quoted ~$4000.  BCS ~$7000.  This was 4 years ago.  You could save $ having it done this time of year when business is slow, but geography and weather may make that more difficult.

Monaco may not have put as many factory layers of clear coat on as touted.  Unfortunately, circumstances dictates that some of us can’t provide a cover structure during “storage”, and this is the penalty.  Lamonte’s wherewithal to fix it himself gets my respect.  Wish I was in physical shape enough and had confidence enough to tackle mine likewise.  Doesn’t mean I might not give it a shot this year regardless of my bad back and balance issues.

Joel
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 02:17:59 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 02:21:23 AM »
In the last couple of years I have had the rear and then the front and some side done.  Both costs were around $1500.  The rear was done by Straight Line in Springfield, OR who we found at one of the Beaver Rallies in Oregon and the front in Arizona.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 03:34:17 AM »
I had the front door repainted by Superior Auto Body in Gresham Oregon last year and it was about $750.  They did an excellent job.

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 03:34:18 PM »
It was not an easy job and took me a month to get it all done.

Luckily I am at a place I can do it, even though it was entirely outside. The roof itself wasn't too bad, I sanded any spots that had issues and removed the ac and vent covers and painted around them first after resealing any cracked sealant areas.  I used three quarts of Rustoleum boat paint and put two coats down.  Then I sanded the front top cap and the rear and side radius.

I used a product called "Durabak" which is used a lot for truck beds. Its a fade, peeling resistant coating that I rolled on with their special rollers.
I chose the rough texture one. Before you use it you clean a section with xylene, and apply as soon as that drys. Rolls on easily and requires two coats. As soon as the first coat is dry to the touch you put coat two on.
The only drawback is that I bought a gallon can and after its exposed to air it starts to dry up. So once I started I was committed to keep moving till I was finished making a long day of it.

I didn't want to do it myself but after getting several quotes $$$$ , I had no other choice. I hope its lasts me, supposed to be easy to touch up if needed.
A gallon was $139 and just was enough.  I should have went with the quart size so I could have done it at a slower pace is the only mistake I made.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Hal Grimshaw

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 07:46:27 PM »

We had it done about 2 years ago at Bend RV repairs.  Jeff did a great job and since we had some damage to the sides also I'm not sure of the price for the caps and rails but it looks like about $2,400 for both ends together.

They are also in Bend.

usually in the Tales as an add.
2007 Patriot Thunder
C13

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 01:27:24 PM »
On our 06 PT I had paint work done by Beaver Coach Sales in Bend, they even did a repair on the front cap seam that left the factory having never been attached. The work was done with perfect color and always to our satisfaction. 
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Robin Goffrier

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 03:04:22 PM »
If you're in the Bend area Jeff at Bend RV can to a great job at a reasonable price.  I have used him often for body repair and paint.