Author Topic: Inverter-Power questions while on 30 amp shore power  (Read 3539 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Inverter-Power questions while on 30 amp shore power
« on: February 12, 2020, 05:24:04 AM »
We are in Naples, FL and have only 30 amp power at the pedestal. Today was the first really hot day since we got here, so we had to run the living room a/c until it cooled down in the evening. We went out to dinner, leaving the LR a/c on, set high, so it would be relatively comfortable when we returned.

When we got back, we found the a/c off, and all the rest of the 120 requirements being powered by the inverter charger.

I turned the power pedestal back on, and immediately the Leg 2 was using 23 amps of the 30, which I assume was the inverter now charging the batteries back up. After a little while the batteries were still on Bulk, and the amps on leg 2 were still 23. Suddenly, the refrigerator motor came on, and the amps on leg 1 went up to 10, and of course with the 23 on leg 2, we soon experienced another shutdown from the power pedestal.

During this time the AGS kicked the generator on in an effort to provide 50 amp to recharge the batteries, and run the refrigerator. I am not comfortable running the generator while neighbors are either sleeping or having quiet time, so I shut it off, unplugged the refrigerator, and as I write this, the amp usage on leg 1 is zero, and the usage on leg 2 is still 22-23, although the batteries are now almost at float.

Is there a setting in the inverter I can use to inform the system about the max of 30 amp, and even if I set it to the required setting, am I still susceptible to the experience we had today?

When the batteries get to float, will I see a drop in amp usage by the inverter for charging the batteries? If that is so, I should be able to plug the fridge back in, knowing we will not use more than a total of 15 amps overnight. Is my assumption correct?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Stan

P.S. We have a Xantrex 3000W pure sine wave inverter/charger with a AGS module.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Dennis Belfils

Re: Inverter-Power questions while on 30 amp shore power
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 09:32:59 AM »
When we are on 30 amp, I will set the charger to 20% charge rate. That seems to help
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

William Jordan

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 12:40:35 PM »
Don’t have the same inverter (Trace) but I can set the amount of amps the charger can use. Mine can use up to 20 amps in charging alone. That really sucks the air out of the room with only 30 available. I generally leave mine at 5 amps ( not in a hurry to charge when plugged in). There must be an equivalent setting on your xantrex.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 01:13:30 PM »
    Stan, not sure which inverter you have, but magnum and xantrex both have a power share setting you can change just for your application. Normally it is set to "30 amps" for a 50amp pedestal. Get into that menu and turn it down to the 5 amp setting and select it. Once you do that, the charger is limited to a 5 amp draw on that leg. It frees up 25 amps for other stuff. If you are not sure how to do it, the owners manual is pretty clear to assist you. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 02:37:01 PM »
We have the Xantrex Freedom 3000 watt Pure Sine Inverter.  It does have a Power Share (PS) function.  The button on the lower right of the remote panel, when pushed, will rotate the screen through several settings.  When you see on the screen display's lower center the PS5A, PS10A,... or PS30A, then you have the correct screen setting.  Now push either of the two buttons to the left of the lower right button to raise or lower the PS setting to PS5A or PS10A.  The lower settings (PS5A or PS10A) of the inverter's PS function will severely reduce the inverter's power consumption... leaving the remaining available power from the 30 amp pedestal for the ACs and other non-inverter-supplied devices.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 02:46:52 PM »
Thanks all. I love this forum!!

I sat up until 2:00 am just watching the Aladdin screen on the TV. I was correct that usage would drop on leg 2 as the batteries were charged. They went to float at 2:00 am and at the time the draw on that leg was 2.0 powering the lamp, coffee pot (not on), microwave (not on), my desktop PC (not on), the TV (on) and 2 cpap maachines (one on, one off). The refrigerator came on during the battery charging, but the draw on 2 had gone low enough by then, to 7.0, that the 10 from the fridge didn't hurt anything.

Thank you, David. You and I have the exact inverter, so it is so nice to get that information. Today I will change the setting. Is the picture below where I would change it to 5 or 10?

P.S. As an aside; my power cord was replaced a few years back, and the rivets holding the power cord reel had to be removed and replaced, plus hook up the new cord to the surge protector in a very small, cramped space. After we left the shop with the repair (while on the road) I noticed that he reversed the 2 legs. That's why my LR a/c is on Leg 2 and the BR a/c, and the refrigerator, which is plugged in to the ice-maker line, so it will run off the inverter, is on Leg 1.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 03:18:29 PM by Stan Simpson »
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 03:24:53 PM »
Stan,
The difference in draw between leg 1 and leg 2 only matters when you are on 50 amp shore power where you are limited to a 50 amp draw on each leg for a total of 100 amps, or when you are on generator and you are limited to the max output of the generator on each leg since your generator has a max output below 50 amps per leg. When you are on 30 amp shore power, both legs share the same 30 amp feed, so it does not matter which leg is using the available power, you just have 30 amps total to be used between both legs.

Gerald

Bill Sprague

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 03:32:03 PM »
If you are going to be there long, you might be able to turn the inverter/charger completely off and use a standard automotive charger on your batteries.  Plug the charger into the 15 amp on the power pole. 

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 03:36:38 PM »
Stan - Yes, you have the correct screen in your picture.  The FUNC button on the lower right changes the screen.  When you see the PS5A or PS10A or..., then you have the PS screen up and ready to change the PS function.  The two buttons to the left of the FUNC button will change the PS30A (as seen in your picture) to a new setting.

When you want more power available to the inverter when not using an AC, then simply change the setting back to a higher PS, for example, PS20A or PS25A.  When you move to a new site that has a 50 amp shower power pedestal, then don't forget to change the setting back to PS30A.  Incidentally, I have learned over the years to change the PS setting away from PS30A to a lower setting BEFORE I plug into 30 amp shore power to prevent the pedestal's 30 amp breaker from kicking out while I'm setting up camp.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!