Author Topic: Lower the slide?  (Read 1967 times)

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Lower the slide?
« on: February 15, 2020, 01:30:04 PM »
My long slide (living and dining rooms) does not fully retract at the top. It sticks out nearly an inch at the top while fully retracted at the bottom. It appears to be tightly wedged against the top seal, not allowing it to fully close.  History,.... about six months ago I  noticed that the rollers were eating into the bottom of my slide. So, I put 1/8 inch aluminum plates under the slide for the rollers to stop the damage further. Now the slide wedges at the top. I’m wondering if I should lower the slide a bit. Has anybody done this?  How does one go about lowering the slide?
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Lower the slide?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 01:47:44 PM »
    Hi Fred,
 How did the room close after you installed the 1/8" plates on the bottom of the room? If you want to lower the room, make small adjustments. Before you move anything, index and mark the outrigger brackets where they attach to the room. Jack up and support the room front and rear. Raise the mount 1/8" at the wall mount attachment points. Run the room in and out several times to realign. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Fred Cook

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 11:21:48 PM »
    Hi Fred,
 How did the room close after you installed the 1/8" plates on the bottom of the room? If you want to lower the room, make small adjustments. Before you move anything, index and mark the outrigger brackets where they attach to the room. Jack up and support the room front and rear. Raise the mount 1/8" at the wall mount attachment points. Run the room in and out several times to realign. Hope this helps, Fred

After installing the plates the slide closes pretty much the same way you did before.  At about the halfway point of retracting the slide... the top pitches inward a bit and then closes all the way except for about an inch at the top.  When extending the slide, it hangs up at the top for a bit and then pitches outward after breaking free.  It worries me that I may damage the slide if it keeps hanging up like that.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 02:01:07 PM »
     Fred, After reading your response, go ahead and lower the room 1/16 to 1/8" and see what happens. The way the room was originally engineered is: when the room extends the top horizontal seal engages first and then the bottom finishes extending. Like wise when the room retracts, the top always seals first and then the bottom draws in last. This is so the top seal always engages first to keep water out. Let me know how it works out. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6