Author Topic: Inverter replacement  (Read 4509 times)

Adam Hicklin

Inverter replacement
« on: February 28, 2020, 03:08:31 PM »
I’ll be attempting replacement of my Xantrex inverter to a Magnum MS2812.  I have some questions I hope y’all can help with.

1.  The Magnum came with a new 400 amp class T fuse block that needs to be installed. Should the Xantrex already have a fuse installed?  If it does, it’s not readily visible.  Any idea where it might be?

2.  The actual connecting looks like a pretty straight forward, plug and play swap from the Xantrex.  Does anything need to be done with the solar system as far as connection?  That solar system has always been a mystery to me. 

3.  I’ll be using the Magnum Battery Monitoring System.  Does that take the place of the Battery Temperature Sensor,  or do I need both?

4.  Any tips/suggestions?  I’m comfortable around electricity and have quite a bit of 120V experience, so all the precautions will be followed. 

Thanks, as always.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Inverter replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 03:33:17 PM »
You should check the wire size from your house batteries to the inverter. The fuse is there to protect the wire from overload (think burning coach!). My fuse and solar connection are in a metal box with a hinged door right above my battery compartment. I just replaced my 2500w xantrex with a 2000w pure sine wave xantrex as we just installed a residential fridge that required the upgrade. My battery cable is 3/0 and has a 300a fuse. To install the larger 3000w xantrex would require 4/0 cable and a 400a fuse. Didn't want to replace the cable so we went with the 2000w inverter. Its AC wiring is single circuit in and single circuit out so I didn't have to rewire any 120v circuits. You should use the new temp sensor, although its not required.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 04:50:03 PM »
One precaution that most owners overlook when changing from a Xantrex to a Magnum is that a Xantrex has built-in circuit breakers for output current, but a Magnum does not. So you should add a small subpanel (breaker box) with breakers to control inverter output current form the Magnum inverter.

Gerald   

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 09:59:15 PM »
Thanks.  Gerald, I was considering that.  I’m still trying to understand the layout.  I’ll be digging in this weekend.  I still can’t find any type of fuse block in the positive line from battery to inverter.  Does the Xantrex use an external fuse block?  If there is one installed, it’s buried somewhere, which seems dumb for a fuse block.   

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 12:11:53 AM »
Update.  Gerald, there is small breaker panel in the bay.  The two outputs from the inverter feed the breaker panel inputs, then a 15A and 20A breaker are double tapped sending out 4 circuits.  This is not noted on the electrical schematic I have, nor does it note an inline fuse between battery and inverter.  This all looks original.  The small breaker panel does not looked like it was added later. 

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 01:24:31 AM »
Adam, one thing that surprised me when I made the change to Magnum is that the inverter did not have auto-gen start like the Xantrex did.  I had to get the extra genstart module and then route a wire to the generator to install it.  Might be a better way to run the wire but I didn't know it at the time.  The battery monitor will come with a temp sensor to attach to a battery.  Mine did.  Also you can use the remote phone wire that is in the coach but you have to rewire the plugs.

Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 03:16:14 PM »
   Adam, The wiring Jerry is referring to is the remote RJ-9 plugs, On the Magnum I believe the plugs are a "mirror" image of each other and the Xantrex are identical. Another thought is to take the time to install the battery temp sensor. The MS-2812 has 125 amp charger. If the batteries get too warm it tells the charger to back off and not cook them. In the set up menu on the remote, don't forget to tell the charger what kind of batteries you have and the total amps of all the house batteries.
  As I stated in my PM to you, If for some reason there is no "in-line" 300 amp fuse, add one some where in the battery compartment. Hope this helps.....Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 01:01:16 PM »
   Hi Adam,
 Enclosed are 2 pix of my battery compartment. I believe the inverter fuse you are looking for is identified as the "Coach Battery. The 3.0 cable on the top post is from the inverter. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 02:14:04 AM »
Thanks Fred.  I have the same set up.  Didn't realize that was for the inverter.  If so, that makes it easy.  I will just need to install the shunt for the Battery Monitoring System in the negative line.  I think that will need to be installed in the storage bay close to the inverter as the lines that connect to the shunt are only 5 ft long and can't be extended.  I had to send the inverter back because it was shipped without the AC access cover and terminal covers.  somehow they thought it was easier to ship a new one instead of just sending the cover's!

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 08:50:57 AM »
Inverter replacement went very well.  Special thanks to Fred for holding my hand and talking me through the rough parts.  Like everything Beaver, it was expensive and took more time than I thought it would, and it would have been easier if I was a contortionist and the engineers 20 years ago would have had a little  foresight.  What a great asset this forum is and how great are the folks, like Fred, who contribute so much?  Thank you all.  Now if I could just get through the billion different setting on the controller remote, I’d be OK. 

Richard Archer

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2020, 07:13:32 PM »
This topic is timely!  Need some advice regarding inverters in general.  My 2000 PT has the original Heart 2K inverter and we have experienced numerous power outages on this trip with house power.  Just some quick background, I have just replaced the 4 house batts with wet Interstate 230 AH batteries so I assume they are functioning properly.  I have had numerous power interruptions on this trip and normally the circuit breakers need to be reset and then wait for the next event.  Lately just running the microwave interrupts the power and the circuit breakers on the side of the Heart didn't move.  We couldn't restore power to the house till this morning so I flipped the 30A breaker on the power post and eventually got it to work again. 
Question: Has the Heart seen better days and need replacement and if so any recommendations as to Brand/Size/Features to "easily" integrate the new unit to existing panels and cables?
Thank you in advance for your indulgence!
Rich
2000 Patriot Thunder
40'
Cat C-12 425
Princeton

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2020, 07:48:57 PM »
   Greetings Richard,
Technology has marched on since your coach was built. The charging profiles, self awareness of the equipment and user friendly application are all the result of years of needless failures. Almost everything out there electronically requires a "pure sine wave" to keep perfect time and operate as engineered.
   If your going to replace your 20 year old inverter/charger, I would recommend the Magnum MS-2012 2000 watt with 100 amp 4 stage charger. You will also need a ME-RC 50 remote control. Aforementioned is a Pure sine wave inverter. Your microwave will thank you and current tablets, computers and future residential refrigerator.
   Incidentally, trying to run your 100 amp coach on a 30 amp adapter is a challenge at best and a microwave would push you over your capacity if your water heater is on electric. Blessings & Joy, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Richard Archer

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2020, 10:05:03 PM »
Fred
Thank you very much for your expertise and advice.  With a previous coach, I had a very bad experience using Camping World to install an inverter.  I live in the Spokane area do you have any recommendations for a competent install location.....even if it requires a drive?
Thanks again and All the best,
Rich
2000 Patriot Thunder
40'
Cat C-12 425
Princeton

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2020, 11:59:41 PM »
It’s a drive, but not that bad from Spokane, through the Horse Heaven Hills and Hwy 97/197 to Bend.  You can’t go wrong with one of our sponsors, Jeff Spears’ Bend RV Repair or Beaver Coach Sales & Service.  And no sales tax.

https://bendrvrepair.com/about-us/

https://www.beavercoachsales.com/service-repair-rvs-dealership--service

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat