Author Topic: Cut Headliner, install new light  (Read 2205 times)

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Cut Headliner, install new light
« on: March 25, 2020, 10:41:05 PM »
I'd like to add a light fixture above the rocker chair in the foreground. I could tap the power from the existing fixture (4 light) over the dinette. Run 18ga wire under the vinyl/foam layer to the area above the chair. My hesitation is in cutting the vinyl headliner. I can cut a small hole in the headliner then reinforce with tape or some such. The new recessed fixtures would sit in a new wood panel, just like the one above the dinette. So.....should I cut the headliner and run the wire  behind it? Or is that a bad idea or better idea?
Thanks!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Lee Welbanks

Re: Cut Headliner, install new light
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 11:35:41 PM »
Bill, Would the new wood panel with the lights be recessed into the ceiling and how far is it from your lights where you will get the power?
If you take down the dinette light panel can you get into the space above the ceiling panel, so you could snake the wire over to the new location? Would probably be better to run the wire above the ceiling than under the vinyl.
Just some ideas.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 12:04:59 AM »
Bill,
If you are going to mount the light(s) in a new wood panel, a small hole in the vinyl head liner shouldn't be a problem as the wood will keep it from running, etc. As Lee mentioned, running it above the ceiling insulation would be preferable but maybe not possible. If your coach is constructed like the pre-Monaco units, the headliner has a foam backing that is glued to the ceiling panel so you may have a challenge in running it. I'm assuming you are going to use the switch for the dinette lights to supply 12V. As long as you use LEDs in the new fixture, the amperage load should not be an issue and 18awg should be fine for power and gnd.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 01:08:53 PM »
If you just want some additional light over the chair for reading or such, a puck style LED light (battery powered) may be the easiest way to go.
I guess it depends on how the light is mounted (stick-on, screw-on, etc.) and the look you want.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 02:38:53 PM »
  Here is a Tip if drilling a blind hole up thru vinyl with a soft foam backer, Put the drill in "reverse" as you push firmly against the wood you are drilling into. This keeps the foam from snagging on the drill bit and ripping a big run in the foam. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Larry Fritz, Andrew Shoen