Author Topic: Power Cord Reel - No Power to Coach  (Read 2661 times)

Trige Gleim

• BAC Member
Power Cord Reel - No Power to Coach
« on: March 25, 2020, 02:04:05 PM »
Our reel has a power retract and manual extend of the cord.  Just yesterday, the RV started getting sporadic power through the reel.  I had unplugged from shore power, extended the cord a little to re-route it to the pedestal and when I plugged back in, I had no power.  I spun the reel a little and was able to get power. I spun the reel again and lost power. I assume these reels go bad over time.  Can this reel be cleaned or repaired to re-establish a good connection from shore power to the RV assuming that is what the problem is? If so, what is the process to do this?  If not, can a new reel be purchased from somewhere?

Please let me know your thoughts as soon as possible.  Thank you!

Trige and Lezli Gleim
2007 Beaver Contessa 42' Westport IV
CAT C9 400HP, 4 slides, tag axle
2011 CR-V

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Power Cord Reel - No Power to Coach
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 02:39:31 PM »
Do a search using the search argument "glendenning" or just "denning".  There are several threads that speak to the two different kinds of power cord installations.  You apparently have the Glendenning device with a spool wheel.  In our coach, the power cord just coils into a bucket.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Trige Gleim

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 02:51:28 PM »
It's a Shoreline Reel, Model CC50D.  Searching for someone who's had a similar issue with their reel, preferably this model, and what they've done to fix the problem.  Thank you.
Trige and Lezli Gleim
2011 CR-V

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 03:49:50 PM »
This reel is not like a Glenn Dunning reel which uses hard contacts for the cable, it has to has a rotating contact wheel, probably 4 copper rings that wear against each other when it turns. One end has to have the cable leads connected to it probably in a box, if you open up the box you will probably find the contact wheel. I would bet they are corroded up or glazed over. Take some sanding clothe and clean the contacts.
Any way that's where I would start. Could also be a broken wire in the cable that makes and breaks contact.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 04:53:34 PM »
Trige,
That model reel uses spring loaded contacts against copper rings on the reel to transmit the power from the rotating reel to the stationary cord running into the coach. You will have to take the contact box apart to determine if the contacts can be cleaned and/or repaired. The problem with these reels is that most if not all of them mount the contact rings onto a plastic backing that will melt from the excess heat caused by a poor connection thus making a good repair difficult to impossible without new parts. First, you need to determine the extent of damage, and if new parts are necessary, and can not be fabricated, contact the manufacturer to see if they will supply the needed parts, or a new reel is needed.

Gerald

Trige Gleim

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 04:15:50 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've decided to buy a new Glendinning reel and am hopeful I get many years of good service from it.
Trige and Lezli Gleim
2011 CR-V

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 10:21:38 PM »
I've never had a problem with the one in my 06 Patriot Thunder, every now and then have to pull the cord all the way out and get any twists out of it so it will seat into the drum properly. I have to get in there and tighten up the rollers a little.