Author Topic: Screws in floor?  (Read 4463 times)

Walter Parr

Screws in floor?
« on: April 04, 2020, 06:26:52 PM »
I'm replacing the carpet on my 95 Grand Marquis with vinyl glue down tile and found these that stick up. Can anyone tell me what these screws behind the passenger and driver seat go to? Sounds hollow there.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Screws in floor?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 06:49:23 PM »
Where is the RV's fuel tank located?  Or could there be another tank or something under the floor there to which these boards when removed would provide access?
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 11:10:38 PM »
You may want to run that question by Sean and Beaver Coach in Bend,they might know or even have a 95 on the lot.

FYI the floor in the coach is 1" or 1-1/2" thick so you could just remove the extra 3/4 pcs of OSB then recess the holes with a blade bit, then install the screws again. I am not sure what in below but if they do support a tank you would need to be able to feel the hardware below. 
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Walter Parr

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 06:29:30 PM »
Where is the RV's fuel tank located?  Or could there be another tank or something under the floor there to which these boards when removed would provide access?
I looked and they are just forward of the fuel tank, but if they were associated with the fuel tank then there should be screws to the rear of the tank and also the screws don't seem heavy enough to hold the tank. 

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 07:38:29 PM »
Walter,
From the photo it looks like the small OSB panel containing the screws is removable. You may want to try removing them carefully. You should be able to tell if there is something "weighing" on them as you unscrew them.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 10:32:00 PM »
Are they for seat belt anchors that were for some reason changed?  Your signature says you have a ‘93 but your text says ‘95;  if the seats were modernized or something, the belting for 3 points may be different than for 2 point ones.  I have no idea what was originally provided those years, and the brochures only say that seat belts are standard without elucidating.

You indicate you saw they were forward of the fuel tank, implying that you’ve looked underneath the coach and perhaps saw either nothing (indicating they are wood screws), or you saw through-floor machine screw ends with nuts with nothing attached (indicating they no longer perform their factory intent, and serve only now to plug holes).  The hollow sound seems to say there’s no frame member directly underneath.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Walter Parr

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 07:21:03 AM »
Walter,
From the photo it looks like the small OSB panel containing the screws is removable. You may want to try removing them carefully. You should be able to tell if there is something "weighing" on them as you unscrew them.
Steve

Steve, there is only a seam in the OSB forward of the screws, aft of the screw is only a paint line for some odd reason. I tried to unscrew one but it was extremely tight so I didn't want to risk.
I'll probably just use the screw as where to but up 2 tiles and cut out screw holes in the tile. It won't really be seen once the seat is back in place.
The driver side uses bigger bolts instead of screws for some odd reason

Walter Parr

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 07:32:15 AM »
Are they for seat belt anchors that were for some reason changed?  Your signature says you have a ‘93 but your text says ‘95;  if the seats were modernized or something, the belting for 3 points may be different than for 2 point ones.  I have no idea what was originally provided those years, and the brochures only say that seat belts are standard without elucidating.

You indicate you saw they were forward of the fuel tank, implying that you’ve looked underneath the coach and perhaps saw either nothing (indicating they are wood screws), or you saw through-floor machine screw ends with nuts with nothing attached (indicating they no longer perform their factory intent, and serve only now to plug holes).  The hollow sound seems to say there’s no frame member directly underneath.

Joel
Joel,
It's a 93, I keep thinking 95 for some reason.

I can tell they weren't the original seats because the holes in the base don't line up with the bolts where they are to mount (only on the drivers seat - the passenger seats bolts are spaced differently than the driver side for some reason.. There is some home are brackets to secure the base of the driver's seat to 3 of the bolts. The current seat belts are a part of the seat itself.

I didn't go underneath but I can see where the fuel input tubes are. The screws are just at the back edge of the wheel well, maybe they are used to hold up the wheel well?

I originally wanted to take them out 1 by 1 if I could safely and countersink them like the main bolts so I could just tile over them.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 07:42:29 AM »
Well, if they weren’t for original belt brackets (which it still sounds like they may have been), then perhaps they are for fuel filler hose supports, given your placement description?

I’d still run it by Sean as Jerry suggested.  Email him the photo.
Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Walter Parr

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 07:44:46 AM »
The flooring is in really great shape for it's age. The only place there is some issue is around the flange for the toilet to blackwater tank. No mold or anything and only under the lip of the flange below the plywood ring spacer/shims

Walter Parr

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 07:48:13 AM »
Well, if they weren’t for original belt brackets (which it still sounds like they may have been), then perhaps they are for fuel filler hose supports, given your placement description?

I’d still run it by Sean as Jerry suggested.  Email him the photo.
Joel

Joel I'll contact Sean and send him the pic.
Fuel filler hose is aft about a foot. the access to it is under the bottom drawer of a cabinet there (it is inside a dryer vent hose ???)