Author Topic: Travel height-control linkage  (Read 5603 times)

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Travel height-control linkage
« on: May 03, 2020, 07:28:18 PM »
I went out the other day to make sure the coach is ready to travel tomorrow (Monday, May 4th).  The batteries are all well-charged up and engine started immediately.  The only problem I found is the air-leveling system isn't working properly.  In manual leveling, the system doesn't want to actuate to raise/lower the coach unless I hold the buttons down for several seconds.  Then it seems to want to perform the command to raise or lower... be it side-to-side or end-to-end.  My first thought was the air valves are sticky after having sat all winter here in Yuma.  When I put the air-leveling into auto-level, it wants to tip the coach to the left... enough such that the white light on the left-side indicator comes on.  When the coach is fairly level and I push the air-leveling OFF button, the travel light comes on briefly... then after a second or two, the whole air panel goes black.  When I push the various buttons to manual level the coach, I can hear the system operating... but the system just isn't operating correctly to level or tip the coach on demand.  The coach is a 2004 model year and, to my knowledge, the ride-height linkage is original.

A few weeks ago, a friend had a problem with his older Monaco coach.  His coach has the airbag suspension but does not have air-leveling and the associated control panel.  His coach's problem was one ride-height linkage plastic part on the rear had broken.  His coach would tilt to the left and not straighten up, and not have an air-leveling panel, he was not able to tinker with it.

He used Bob's Diesel here in Yuma for the repair.  The guy seemed to know where to look and immediately found the broken linkage on the ride-height linkage... and had it repaired within an hour.  The guy had to run up town to get the repair part and that took a half hour round trip.

Any ideas on my problem based upon the symptoms above?
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: Travel height-control linkage
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 08:56:00 PM »
David
The first thing I would check is power and grounds to your air leveling controller with out proper grounds the system can take on a mind of its own.
I assume this is an HWH system the coach assist I think has a manual  for a HWH  air leveling system in the library you should be able to get the wiring diagrams and troubleshooting from that manual.
Hope this helps and let us know what you find
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 09:58:29 PM »
Yes, the coach has an HWH manual and automatic air-leveling system, plus a manual and automatic hydraulic-leveling system.  I don't read wiring diagrams because I never learned how.  The only languages I learned were English (almost fluently) and enough Deutsch to tell somebody I'm hungrig, need a bier, or need a zimmer.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 04:29:20 AM »
I’m sure you’ve read prior threads here re. the ride height valve linkage.  If yours is original it’s overdue.  NAPA can have or order them.  I carry a spare since there are commonly 3 per coach.  Haldex Midland RN10JC

Leveling and ride-height are generally separate operations, but it’s worth checking, as long as you’re cautious crawling underneath, as you already are aware.

Joel
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 04:39:42 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 02:10:39 PM »
So I have been using the search function to research HWH Air-Leveling problems and solutions.  One of the questions I saw a few times was asking where the HWH Reset is located.  My coach does not have the Reset Button on the aluminum plate with the generator slide button.  Apparently, that HWH Reset Button location came on the model years a bit later than the 2004s.  So, I'll ask again.  Where is the HWH Reset Button located on the 2004 coaches?  Any ideas?

I will try removing the air-leveling touchpad this morning to check for loose connections under the pad.  That was mentioned a couple times to be a problem area.  There were several posts that mentioned simply doing a reset fixed the problem.  When I find that HWH Reset Button, then I'll try that too.

Thanks...

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 03:00:48 PM »
David,
As far as I know your coach does not have a reset button. I think that the reset button feature started on the 2005 Marquis, but a call to HWH Technical Support will verify that. The only bad thing about HWH support is the wait time for a call back to talk to someone can be days, but with the shutdown it might be quicker.

Gerald

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 03:52:29 PM »
Thank you for the reply, Gerald.  I took the cover off of the HWH control box in the front electrical bay and found no reset button.  I also took the air-leveling touchpad off the wall, left of the pilot's seat, to check on connections and the only connector was well attached.  I turned off the inverter and turned off both battery disconnect switches thinking that would stop all power to the HWH system... which it appeared to do... thinking that might act as a reset.  When I turned ON the power to everything, there was no change in the air-leveling operating characteristics as shown on the touchpad. Interestingly, when I hold the ON button down on the air-leveling keypad, the lights are ON like it is active.  But as soon as I remove my finger from the ON button, all the touchpad lights go black... no lights on.

Sooo... I have Bob's Diesel coming out for a mobile appointment when my name moves to the front of the line.  Bob's location is just off 195 (Araby Road) down by its intersection with East County 14th Street.  GOOGLE has 27 references on Bob's and almost all of them are 5-stars.  I hope they have some knowledge of HWH systems.  My understanding is Bob's has a lot full of RVs on-site for service/repairs.

I am very glad the house we purchased here last year has a good air conditioner... supposed to be upwards of 105F highs later this week.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 04:38:13 PM »
David
Any luck with your air leveling yet.
I was reading the manual in the coach assist section and in the troubleshooting section it has a procedure to go through to narrow down your problem most of which involve operating the switches and watch for indicator lights .
It's worth a look see in the coach assist manuals
After sitting all season your problem could be a pressure switch as discribed in the manual but it's best to do the procedure as they have written it
If yours isn't the 2000 system let me know and I'll try to find the right manual for yours
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 06:39:45 PM »
Under the control box in the front electrical bay, there's an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet.  At the top of the sheet, it is printed:

Control Box Connection Diagram
600 Series Hydraulic Leveling/4-Point Air Leveling

In the lower right-hand corner of the sheet, it is printed:

MP85.4514
16MAR99

The diagram shows various connection points for plug-ins and the auto-style fuse locations.  Along the side and bottom of the diagram are shown the definitions of all the connection points (example: Park Brake Sensor - (Blue) 9000) with lines pointing to the connection points and fuses (example: fuse #12  Travel), respectively.  I have not checked the fuses yet.  The sun is now on that side of the coach and it's way too hot to be out there!  It's 95F here in the shade already.

I found this on the HWH site.    http://www.hwh.com/ml2201.pdf    It is representative of the system in my coach.  In fact, it has a picture that is identical to the sheet I described above.  Yesterday, I used the hydraulic leveling system to raise the coach as high as it would go in preparation for the Bob's Diesel tech when he arrives...  whenever he arrives... might be next week, I am told.  The hydraulic leveling system worked fine.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 04:10:02 AM by David T. Richelderfer »

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 02:14:34 AM »
Hi David
I'm going to see if I have a copy of the service manual for that system so we can get you some troubleshooting instructions.
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2020, 04:11:48 AM »
Eric -   I found this earlier today online.     https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml19048.pdf

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2020, 02:31:11 PM »
Yep that's the same manual I have I don't have a manual for the combined hydraulic and air system but I think if you follow the troubleshooting in the air only manual you will be able to pin point your problem just go step by step and record the lights so you can follow the troubleshooting tree.
Good luck
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2020, 05:45:09 PM »
Added the 600 series manual to Coach Assist. Thanks Eric!
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2020, 03:09:08 AM »
Well, it's been over 2 months!  On Monday this week, I finally got the control box back from HWH.  HWH received the control box on the Thursday before the Memorial Day observation day on Monday, May 25th, repaired it and shipped it back on Friday, June 26th.  HWH replaced 4 modules on the three circuit boards, two of which were multi-legged ICs.  The HWH cost was about $220 which included $40 for 3-day UPS delivery.  Today, I finally got Bob's Diesel to re-install the control box.  The coach's air-leveling worked like new on the first try after installation of the control box in the electrical bay and the pushpad to the left of the pilot's seat.

Recall, we were planning to leave Yuma on May 3rd.  The new and improved planned departure date is now July 6th.  I don't know quite how people can stand the Summers in Yuma!  And Summer is barely here.  July, August, and September are the hot months!  We have seen 112F a couple of times in the last month... and it gets hotter later in July and August.  The golfing has been great - tee off at 5:15 am, finish at 7:15 am and not many people playing golf in this heat.  When we get off the course at 7 to 7:30 am, it's already at least 90F!  I did manage to reach a milestone that not many golfers attain though; in late April I shot under my age, 69 on a par 72, and I was 70 years old at the time.

Now to get to Eastern Oregon where the temperatures are only in the 90s... but there at least the nights are in the 50s and 60s, not 80s like in Yuma.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2020, 05:12:41 AM »
David, Don't you live in Hermiston? I seem to remember that's where you hang out in the summer. We left there in 2012 now in Wickenburg, not traveling this year.
The following users thanked this post: David T. Richelderfer