Author Topic: Magnum chassis axle location  (Read 16020 times)

Lee Welbanks

Re: Magnum chassis axle location
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2020, 02:45:05 PM »
I would make sure you use new high grade bolts and nuts to assemble all the front end back together and use Anti-Seize on the threads. We always replaced axle bolts after they were in service for any length of time.
I could never understand why when then build these coaches, trucks or whatever they never use anti-seize on threads. I guess it's too much trouble to add a dab on the threads.

The following users thanked this post: Eric Maclean

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2020, 01:51:03 AM »
Lee
Today I redrilled the frame and made 12 inch long x1/4 inch plates to bridge the old holes and spread the force out over a longer foot print on the I beams I managed to get the axle back in and located today.
The original bolts were 3/4 x 5 inch fine threaded grade 8 bolts so l replaced them with 3/4 x 6 inch fine threaded grade 8 bolts
The extra inch was to accommodate the extra 1/2 of reinforcement plates.
I still have to adjust the drag link .
I'm waiting for new brake rotors and when I get them back on I'll mount the 255/70R 22.5s back on and record the measurements both fore and aft of the tires at the fender wells before I put the new 275/70R 22.5s and record the same measurements and turn the wheels through there range of motion to check for interference with the fender wells.
In the end I moved the axle ahead a little more than an inch to avoid the old holes joining the new ones which I think will be about right as there never seems to be any reports of the tires contacting the front fender wells.
I think the wheel well rub was an issue because the design had the axle too far back and the positive caster and wheel off set work together to create a wider arc  on a rear of the steering knuckle swing than on the front  hence kicking the wheel assembly back into the already too close fender wells.
I'll post the final demensions when I get it back together
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2020, 02:04:27 PM »
Eric,

Glad you got you axle moved and put back together.  I find it interesting that your axle was held on with 5 inch 3/4 bolts since mine was put on with 6 inch 3/4 bolts.  I guess that just another example where no two frames were built exactly the same.  I think you will be fine moving the axle up an inch which will probably be pretty close to the center of the arch.  Hopefully you will have it all back together and rolling down the road soon

Carl
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2020, 01:12:55 AM »
Carl
With 6 inch long bolts you must have a ton of bolt sticking up past the nuts I know afternoon mine was all bolted up with the new bolts I end up with about an inch and a half sticking up which means I probably could have lived with the 5 inch bolts.
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2020, 01:44:57 AM »
Eric,

Actually not really!  I also had about one inch above the nut.  Of course the nut is also about 1 inch tall.  I wonder if my blocks are thicker or what is different?  With the bracket on I still have about 1/2 an inch of threads showing so perfect.........

Carl
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126