Author Topic: Warranty  (Read 3915 times)

George Frudakis

• BAC Member
Warranty
« on: May 13, 2020, 10:34:24 PM »
Any suggestion for a warranty company
George Frudakis
2002 Marquis, Jasper
Ford F150 Platinum

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Warranty
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 11:01:52 PM »
When we became 2nd owners of our Beaver, we bought an extended warranty from the dealer who sold us the coach. 4 years, about $5k. Expired last year. On balance, we came out ahead, as we had more in repairs (nothing really major) than we had in the policy. One trick is that they paid only 'their' shop rate (about $90 / hr) and shop rates around here are $160-190/ hr. So they paid about half the labor, usually. I did have to ask our dealer to intervene with the warranty company a couple of times on our behalf. Don't really know if it did any good, but at least I could talk to someone and vent!
One thing, if its not in the policy, they ain't gonna pay!
Our warranty was with US warranty out of Ohio. There is another outfit, same name, out of Florida; steer clear of the one in Florida.

You can't re-read all the fine print enough, and you can't ask too many questions.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."
The following users thanked this post: George Frudakis

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 11:29:19 PM »
So what kind of repairs did you need ($5,000 in four years)? That sounds like a lot of warranty work.
Anything on the engine or transmission? The CAT C13 and Allison 4000 are pretty tough.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 11:42:54 PM »
well, both roof A/Cs and control boards, Aqua hot board, Aladdin tank level board (used from salvage yard), Cab A/C (new compressor), Slide out mechanism (pass side and drivers side), microwave, black tank valve, radiator surge tank, cab clearance lights (leaks), Slide out latch mechanism; that's what I can pull off the top of my head. Like I said, the labor is the thing that adds up quickly!  As far as the engine, just routine maintenance ($500 oil changes), air and fluid filters; no issues with tranny. And tires!
525 hp C13

George Frudakis

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 04:59:42 PM »
I found a policy for 24 months or 24 thousand miles.  The quote was 4050.00. This policy will cover the entire coach. After I purchased my coach in 2017, I also purchase a warranty for 7 thousand, was taken by the dealer. Then I went home to Florida. I had two new roof ac, in-dash ac,  inverter, and my transmission went out. The total of all repaired items was 17 thousand, yes warranty work. I know, if all goes well, I may not need the warranty but will have a piece of mind traveling.
George Frudakis
2002 Marquis, Jasper
Ford F150 Platinum

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 08:02:58 PM »
... Slide out mechanism (pass side and drivers side) ....

Bill,
What went wrong with the roadside Slideout mechanism?

I have basically the same Coach (but mine is a four slide) - so you may have the same slide mechanism as I do on the drivers side (the "through the frame slide support rails"). it appears to be a SMC design according to an old brochure I found (using a "Power Gear" mechanism) with a single HWH hyd cylinder. The Slide room is not an HWH design according to HWH.

My driver's side front slide (which is coach and dinette table/chairs) is scrapping the wood ceiling trim as it comes in. The top of slide room is tilted up too far as it comes in, so the top front hits ceiling trim first, then the bottom of slide comes in fully (stops against body) and the top tilts down as it travels that last couple of inches.

I've been looking for info on these slide support arms to see if there is any kind of wear plates but I have not found any useful info. 

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 08:29:34 PM »
Mike, Roadside slide issue was with the room lock mechanism. BCS removed the black plastic covers and lubed. The top of the slide out used to 'hang out' about an inch until you drove the coach a bit. I had an issue with the same room trim board as you have. Turned out to be that the ceiling sags right in the middle of the slide,  such that the wood trim on the inside of the slide hits the 'surfboard' trim on the ceiling. A shop in Oregon trimmed 3/8" or 1/2" off the top of the wood trim; Can't fix the ceiling sag, so that's it. My slide mech doesn't really tilt until the room lock levers engage. You know, the guy to talk to about slides is Chris Throgmartin of Talin RV. He's recently retired, but I'm sure his crew can fix what ails your slide. 

http://talinrv.com/
525 hp C13

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 09:23:45 PM »
Mike, to check to see if your ceiling is sagging like mine: Take a long, 8' straightedge and hold it up against the ceiling at the midway point of the slide out width and between the 'surfboard' and the wood trim piece on the slide out (slide extended). Mine had an inch or so sag. Here's hoping you don't have that sag. The word from the guys at the shop was that they made the slide outs longer without reinforcing the roof around the front A/C, hence the sag. Oh, well.
525 hp C13