Author Topic: Air Ride 04 Monterey  (Read 3018 times)

Richard Hicks

Air Ride 04 Monterey
« on: May 25, 2020, 06:48:10 PM »
Anyone have any info on air ride system?   Mine seems to be low on Rt front.

Mike Shumack

Re: Air Ride 04 Monterey
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 08:06:19 PM »
Do you have the HWH air leveling system too - or just the air bag suspension with hyd leveling?

Richard Hicks

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 11:20:20 PM »
Just air bag and Hydrulic jacks

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 12:00:24 AM »
Richard, Are you talking about when you travel the side is low or when you are parked? There should be only one level control valve connected to your front axle to control the front end level height. I don't know of a air bag getting weak, or not getting the same pressure of air.
 Does your coach have a HWH leveling system, I have had my 06 Patriot Thunder not level correctly a couple of times, it did not actually go into travel mode and the left side was way higher.
At that time I rebooted the whole system and that cured it.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 03:45:36 AM »
Richard
On the magnum chassis the front suspension usually only used one ride height control valve to control the front ride height which should be 10 inches measured from air bag top mounting plate to the bottom mounting plate.
The air pressure to all 4 front air bags will be the same.if the ride heights on all bags are not at the same then my guess would be a a mechanical defect s
Check the front H frame for bend or broken I beam over the front axle on the low side.
A damaged or seized shock could also be at fault.
Check for seized trailing arm or track bar ball ends ( the ball end seals deteriorate and allow water into the ball ends causing them to seize up which could cause the ride height discrepancy) this is usually accompanied by a squeezing noise on bumps.
Also look for pinched air lines to the air bags.

But first make sure you only have one ride height control valve for the front axle and not two if it has two it my just be ride height control valve linkage adjustment side to side not set equally.

Before going under your coach put it on ramps or blocks (SAFETY FIRST)

Hope some of this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Richard Hicks

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 03:51:16 AM »
Thx for the information, I’ll check this weekend.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 08:12:04 AM »
As Lee noted, there is the air ride system for on the road, and then there is the (optional in 2004) air leveling for when parked.  You said “air ride” in your initial question.  With that in mind, I’ve sometimes parked temporarily in a slightly sloped lot with the steering wheel turned, and noticed one front side appeared lower.  A tech told me that happens sometimes depending on slope, wheel angle, and when the engine is turned off in the process.  It goes back to level travel mode when I get underway again. 

If the front ride height adjuster’s rubber “boot” gives out, the whole front end should fail to hit travel height, not just one side (re. Eric’s reference, a 2004 Monterey should have one front valve like Lee states).  The adjuster part is RN10JC by HALDEX.  But it’s worth checking;  see pix below.

If you look in the Coach Assist part of the Members Only section on the Home menu here, you may find manuals and materials with assistive information.

As Eric mentioned, don’t be foolin’ with air components under the coach unless you’ve properly blocked it.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 02:48:28 PM »
Richard,
The side to side ride height in your coach is controlled by the rear ride height valves. If the RF is low, the LR is too high. The best method is to measure the air bag height plate to plate at all 4 corners, and correct any issues with valve adjustment. However, this can be very dangerous unless you are knowledgeable about air suspensions, so use safety stands, a pit, or have a professional do it.

Gerald

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 12:13:58 AM »
Gerald,  That's why your so good at this, I never thought of the rear sagging causing the front to lean, now that you have said that when my coach was leaking at the right rear it would cause the front to raise on the opposite side.

Richard Hicks

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2020, 02:10:46 AM »
Thanks Gerald,
I haven’t thought of that either.  I’ll keep y’all posted.