Author Topic: Slide Topper Trim  (Read 2314 times)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Slide Topper Trim
« on: May 28, 2020, 11:47:09 AM »
The topper on our wall slide is mounted to the coach but the free end is on the slide.  It attaches by sliding into a channel.  That channel slides into another channel and that into a flat dress piece with a channel on top.  The flat dress piece is on the outer surface of the slide box but has come loose.Before I try to pull it apart,  does anyone know how it is mounted?  It is actually a flat trim C shaped with a bead channel on top.
It seems like it must slide over blocking that is (or was) rivited to the slide out flange.  Will this just slide off so the block can be re attached?
Thanks
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
Re: Slide Topper Trim
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 11:54:28 AM »
For me I would need a picture if possible
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 02:06:33 PM »
  Hi Keith,
Just a heads up that may need your attention is the stitching on all your slide out awnings. The Sunbrella fabric is usually ok but the thread that holds all the seams together has started to come apart. There is a fair amount of tension on these seams and the life expectancy of the thread has expired. It is far cheaper to remove and re-stitch than replace. FYI, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 07:26:24 PM »
Several of our awnings had sun-decomposed stitching on the seams last year.  When a helping friend and I removed the awnings by unrolling and sliding them carefully out of the bead-grooves, we found that there were several turns of "virgin" fabric on the roll that had not been exposed to sun and weather.  We took the awnings to an upholstery shop and I suggested the shop owner simply cut off about 20 inches of sun-exposed fabric and sew the plastic bead insert back into the virgin fabric.  This left two-to-three turns of fabric on the roll which remains out of the sun and weather.  It took the upholstery guy only 15 minutes to cut off the bad fabric and stitch the plastic bead back into the long edge of the fabric.  I think this has been one of the cheapest repairs our old Beaver has had.  It certainly beat the measuring and ordering, and especially the cost, of new awnings.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett, Carol Moffett

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 11:22:24 AM »
  Hi Keith,
Just a heads up that may need your attention is the stitching on all your slide out awnings. The Sunbrella fabric is usually ok but the thread that holds all the seams together has started to come apart. There is a fair amount of tension on these seams and the life expectancy of the thread has expired. It is far cheaper to remove and re-stitch than replace. FYI, Fred
Thanks Fred.  That happened on our patio awnings last spring.  Just pulled right apart on spring cleaning.  Shade Pro did a nice job but spendy indeed.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 10:21:40 AM »
Big thanks to Bill Lampkin for tracking down the parts list for our slide topper awning from Girard.  And again for helping to fix it.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett