Author Topic: Black tank question  (Read 6461 times)

Jason Worman

Black tank question
« on: June 18, 2020, 11:16:31 PM »
Hi all,
So I was wondering about the black tank, does anyone do any kind of treatments between the time the tanks are dumped, rinsed, and initial treatments? Is there a recommended treatment after each use that helps? Currently I use the concentrated TST orange stuff, I add the recommended amount for my tank size, and the leave tank alone in-between dumps. Thank you

Jason

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Black tank question
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 12:14:56 AM »
When we used our coach more often for trips and camping, I would often flush the black tank when dumping it.  We have rarely used any additives for odor control, although I have added TSP for liquefication of solids over the tank fill-level sensor and vegetable oil to lubricate the gate valve (this for both the black and gray tanks).  I do not remember ever smelling our black tank inside the coach, although we do keep a quart of RV Digest-It Holding Tank Treatment on hand.  I have smelled the gray tank when the elbow in the Splendide drain evaporated dry.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 12:29:36 AM »
    Jason,
   I would have to ask this question, how long does the coach sit between adventures?. If it is used frequently (every 6 weeks) then I would say do exactly as you are doing. Perhaps add 2 -3 gallons of water. If the coach is allowed to sit for long periods of time, the waste tank vent will allow the tank to dry out. This creates a thin skin of human waste cement. When it finally breaks loose when the coach does get used, it raises havoc with dump valves and can block the flow when dumping.
   I recommend a chemical that contains the required bacteria that breaks the waste and toilet paper down into a slurry for easy discharge. I use a product called "Oder-less". It contains the natural occurring bacteria with a continuous supply of the best alternative energy source to pure oxygen-nitrates. This eliminates the need for bacteria to target sulfate for energy and the result is NO holding tank odors. I have been using it since 1998 and it works great. You cannot add any other product with it especially a deodorizer as it will kill it. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Jason Worman

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 03:45:05 AM »
Fred,

We live full time in ours, so we dump and flush every couple of weeks, I worry its not enough time for the proper breakdown of things.

Jason

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 04:58:09 AM »
No chemicals needed, just use plenty of water when you flush. Your black tank is not a septic tank and waste reduction does not occur. Its just a tank. Keep it clean with plenty of water. Water is your friend.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 01:59:53 PM »
I use tank tech.  It has bugs (bacteria) in it that eat the odors in the tank.  I haven't had any odors since I started using it.  You can get it on amazon.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Neal E Weinmann

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 10:58:22 PM »
I use Tank Techs RX as well. Very satisfied with it too, and they also endorse using adequate water at each toilet flush. Little or no visible solids in Black Tank dumps and you do not use the tank flush when dumping so there can be treatment carryover. Add another dose to the “empty tank”, and add water to distribute the dose and you’re done. No issues with odor.
2005 Monterey Bayview IV
CAT C9 400HP
2018 Ford Edge Titanium

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 12:38:21 AM »
Tank Tecks RX and RV Digest-It are virtually the same stuff with no formaldehyde and made by different manufacturers.  They are both probiotics and will digest almost all organic solids, including any brand of TP, with which they come in contact.  And they both cost about $1 per treatment in the bottles of liquid.  Both can be purchased on Amazon Prime.  Tank Tecks RX comes only in bottles of liquid; at least, that's all I could find.  RV Digest-It comes in bottles of liquid, containers of scoopable powder, and drop-in pods.  There are other brand names of similar tank treatments made by other manufacturers.

They are kinda like Coke and Pepsi... almost identical.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 12:24:55 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Jason Worman

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2020, 05:51:20 AM »
Hi All,

Thank you all for the replies, will look at the products mentioned. Will go back to using Scott TP, as well.

Jason Worman

Bill Sprague

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2020, 05:49:25 PM »
I'm with Bill Lampkin.   We don't need "products".

About 10 or so years ago I stopped using blank tank chemicals.   After I dump the black I add about a 1/4 tank of fresh through the flush.  Driving sloshes the contents.  The best time to dump is when you pull in to a new campsite after an hour or so of sloshing.   

I'm quite convinced that a cup or so of anything in a 60 gallon tank is too diluted to do anything. 

The only time I've ever smelled the black tank is if I hold the valve open when the ceiling fan is sucking air out of the rig or get near the roof vent on a cleaning operation. 

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 08:38:22 PM »
The issue of what goes on in your black tank, well, is something of a black hole. I do my best to obfuscate the issue with the following:

I'm on week two of my scientifical , observational test of "Tank Tech RX" as others here have suggested. My observations are just that, and in no way am I one to criticize others or their opinions. Now, for the news:

I use a clear elbow as the first thing connected to my waste tank, so I can see what is going  on. Too many times I have closed the black valve on some debris and then have to deal with the clog in the valve. So I let the black tank flush water rinse the tank until I see nothing but clear water coming through the elbow, then I shut the valve.

Using Tank tech RX I have see no difference in the poop count, tissue tussle or other black tank criteria. I doubt it has done anything but to relieve my bank account of $42.95 at the RV store. One clue may be its 'ingredients'; Structured water (??), lactic acid bacteria, molasses and rice bran.  AFAIK, cellulase enzyme is the only thing that can break down toilet paper (cellulose). As far as odors, no change noted, but I never have smelled a black tank odor anyway. Tank Tech instructions say "90% of odor problems are caused by insufficient water in the tank."

So I'll continue with my scientifcal observations of Tank Tech RX until the quart bottle is empty. I'll let you know if something different happens with my black tank.
525 hp C13

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2020, 08:49:44 PM »
Bill,
 I also use a clear elbow between the tank output and the dump hose. Prior to using Tank Tech I would always see some debris and brown liquid initially when flushing the tank after dumping. With TT the flush liquid is clear. Agree that odor is mainly dependent on amount of water in tank.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2020, 08:53:45 PM »
Steve, All I can say is that the flush liquid is only clear after I use the black tank flush; your experience is, to me, remarkable.
Happy travels!
525 hp C13

Jason Worman

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2020, 10:01:19 PM »
Hi All,

So I ran our hose that has sprayer nozzle on the end into the bkack tank and sprayed/filled/dumped 4 times until drainage ran clear. Took advice and have added extra water with each use of the toilet, I did add some of TST chemical, tank now ready to dump after sitting two weeks to fill. I pulled the handle and only liquid drained, closed valve and filled again with water, must be plugged somewhere. Will run the sprayer again and hopefully this did not damage the tank.

Jason Worman

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2020, 10:12:05 PM »
Repeat the fill, drain, rinse, flush. A true clog will not allow much water to drain, until the clog/plug comes out. The clear elbow on the drain fitting reveals all. If all else fails, run an old hose end up thru the black valve into the tank and turn on the water; be prepared for a shower. A reverse rinse like this should take care of any plug. Good luck!
525 hp C13