Author Topic: Replacing the Hurricane Furnace with a Quantum 55-XLT  (Read 6072 times)

Bill Brown

Replacing the Hurricane Furnace with a Quantum 55-XLT
« on: June 27, 2020, 12:41:22 AM »
Replacing the Hurricane Furnace with a Quantum 55-XLT

Hello all,

We are getting tired of trying to keep the ITR Hurricane furnace in our Allure running and are considering have Rixen install the Quantum 55-XLT as a replacement. It's kind of spendy to do but we would sure like to get through the winter with a working furnace and water heater. Curious if anyone has had the conversion and what your opinion is of the Quantum furnace after utilizing it for a while. We have checked with ITR and their only replacement is the Zephyr which is smaller than our current Hurricane, so not a real option.

TIA

William Brown
SOB: 03 32' Allure

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Replacing the Hurricane Furnace with a Quantum 55-XLT
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 10:00:10 AM »
Jim is a good man.  He treated us very well!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 01:50:32 PM »
Bill,
The Hurricane is such a simple system that it is hard to believe that a replacement is necessary. I had a Hurricane in my 2000 Marquis, and in the 13 years that I owner it, there were only 3 occasions that required repairs for a total of about $200. I spent more for parts with the AquaHot in my current coach in 3 months that I spent on the Hurricane in 13 years. However, the Marquis used an electric water heater to supplement the Hurricane, so Hurricane usage was reduced. The biggest problem with a Hurricane is that the average RV mechanic does not have a clue as to maintenance and/or repair on the unit. Most shops just through parts at it until it fires up, call it fixed and give you a bill.

Gerald

Bill Brown

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 04:10:22 PM »
Thanks for the replies Keith and Gerald.  Yes, when we have been to see Jim, our heater will run for a while then begins it usual flameout crap, this past winter we threw way too much money at it trying to get it running properly, i.e new air compressor, fuel pump, fuel nozzle, thermostat.  There really shouldn't be much else to change.  But the darn thing still is worthless.  Ours is going on 17 years old, something like 3500 hrs on the hobbs.  Don on the Country Coach forum says he's replaced his exhaust system , and after that his furnace works as designed.  There is also the problem with finding someone who will work on it too. A couple years ago we were in AK and it failed.  No one in either ANC or FAI could/would touch it.  I even talked with Shawn at Beaver in Bend.  He would do a tune up, but said wanted nothing further to do with the Hurricane.  i am getting frustrated, and tired of wasting money on a system that constantly fails

Still looking for comments on the Quantum.  I've heard one running and it's much quieter than the Hurricane.  Expensive too, that's why I am looking for comments.

Bill

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 07:45:18 PM »
    Bill, Common issue is the original in-line fuel filter on the outside back wall of the metal box was originally 1/4" diameter inlet and outlet but had 5/16 fuel hose going to it. When I bought my coach in 2014, I found 3 receipts totaling over $1000.00 from 3 different repair shops trying to fix the hurricane. Mine would eventually "flame-out". Someone on this forum told me it was sucking air and to check the fuel filter. Well guess what.....wrong filter. I installed a new fuel filter and 6 years later all is good. I did replace my muffler and inlet elbow 3 months ago and the rectangular outlet pipe had rust inside that was more than 3/4 full built up inside the pipe, (not sure if that created back pressure probably did). Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Bill Brown

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 02:42:47 AM »
Fred,

Thanks for the reply.  Ours has the new larger filter and 1/4" fuel line.  Had a complete tune up in March, i.e. fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel nozzle, thermostat.  In FEB I replace the air compressor.  Was working on the coach today, so tired running the hurricane.  Fired off fine, got to temp, and turned off.  I then turned on a water faucet to run hot water.  System ran good for a short time then flamed out.  Tried to relight itself until it went into alarm.  That's the way it's been for the last year.  I am considering calling Rixen and having him take another look see.  The darn thing doesn't fail until we are out somewhere away from civilization. I hate to keep throwing parts at it.  Frustrating as all get out.

Bill

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 01:58:10 PM »
   Bill,
Not sure what year Allure you have. I had a similar issue on an 03 Allure I chased for a while. I finally ran a temporary fuel source and it worked fine. I ended up running a new fuel line from the fuel tank back to the Hurricane. The original was dried out with surface cracking. With all the parts that have been replaced on your unit makes me think the issue is external. Sorry for your frustration, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 02:52:14 PM »
Bill,
Your issue sounds like you are getting air into your fuel supply. If you bleed the fuel and get any air whatsoever, you have an air leak in your fuel supply line, and that will always cause a flameout. The correction for that is either run a known good supply line or a return line. If your CC is as hard to replace the fuel supply line as a Beaver, I would chose the return line as a correction.

To run a return line, you just install a 1/64 or 1/32 inch orifice (depending on availability) that is a tight fit in a 5/16 or 3/8 fuel hose. Connect the hose to the fuel bleeder on the fuel pump outlet and connect the other end of the hose to a fuel tank return line (on a Beaver we use the generator return line. Then open the bleeder valve completely and leave it open, The small orifice will allow a small amount of fuel to return to the tank that is way below the rated volume of the pump, but it will also carry any air that gets into the fuel system back to the tank because the bleeder is the high point in the fuel pump circuit.

Gerald   

Bill Brown

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 03:22:01 PM »
Gerald,

Thanks for the info/suggestion.  I will take a look at that today since I still have the coach here at our house. It would be great if that turns out to be the fix. 
From what I have been able to find it's every bit as difficult to replace the hose on the CC as is the Beaver.  I guess they secured the fuel lines with silicon every couple feet to keep it in place.   

Bill

Gerald Farris

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 07:46:44 PM »
Bill,
It is not necessary to remove the old fuel line to install a new one. The secret is how accessible is the origination and termination point. If they are both accessible, you can just disconnect the old line, plug it, leave it in place and run a new hose through an accessible area. However, on most Beaver coaches with a Hurricane heater, you can not access the origination point without dropping the fuel tank, so the return line is preferable because it is much easier and it solves the problem. Remember, just one small air bubble will cause a flame-out every time.

Gerald   

Bill Brown

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 05:06:24 PM »
Gerald,

Thanks for the added comments.  I did a little looking yesterday, and getting at the top of the fuel tank is questionable, I can see where the line comes out of the tank but it'll take a skinny midget to get to it.  I'll need to pull a couple panels in order to see about accessing the fuel line some other place.  Still looking.

Thanks again.

Bill