Author Topic: Ahoy from Anacortes, WA  (Read 2393 times)

Peter Whiting

• BAC Member
    • Seattle Yachts
Ahoy from Anacortes, WA
« on: June 27, 2020, 03:02:12 AM »
My wife Jan and I are new members and (almost) Beaver owners.  We pick up our new (to us) 2008 Beaver Contessa Pacifca 40 next week.  This is our first motor coach to own.  Back in 2010, we borrowed our kids' 34' gas motorhome, put a tow bar on our Jeep Grand Cherokee, and spent 10 weeks and 11,000 miles touring the US.  We went from Washington State, across to Massachusetts, down the East Coast to Fort Lauderdale, then back across the Southern States to San Diego, then back up the coast to Washington.

We are fairly familiar with coach systems as we are in the boat business. The only real difference is the coach doesn't float and the yachts don't do well on land.  We sometimes say a motor coach is just a yacht that ran aground and can't return to the water.

Later this summer we are going to head East again and retrace our route of 10 years ago. This time, however, we plan to stop and smell the roses between business stops.   

Anyway, we are happy to be members and hope to meet many of you as we travel. 
2008 Beaver Contessa Pacifica 40
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Jerry Pattison, Anita Johnson

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Ahoy from Anacortes, WA
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 03:40:33 AM »
All the best to you in your travels, and welcome! Just spent a beautiful week in Anacortes, a little rain, a litle sun; Just right!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."
The following users thanked this post: Peter Whiting

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 09:58:22 AM »
Peter
Welcome to the club and the forum.  Big step from a borrowed gas rig to a diesel.  Go slow and read everything you can in the manuals.  Post any questions here and someone will help shortly.
Enjoy your trip and congratulations
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 02:10:15 PM »
Welcome Aboard Peter, we hope you enjoy your Beaver. The best thing we have to offer in the BAC is fellowship meeting new friends along your route! Try some of our rallies its the best way to make friends along the way. 
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13
The following users thanked this post: Rick and Laura Stephens, Peter Whiting

Bill Sprague

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 05:45:13 PM »
Welcome Peter!   

"The only real difference is the coach doesn't float and the yachts don't do well on land. "

Only "sort of"!  We had a SeaRay with a comfortable 20 to 25 knot cruise speed.  It took about three years to go to all the places in Puget Sound we wanted.  Loved it. 

We sold it when we bought our Beaver.  It took about three years to figure out that the USA and Canada have endless places to go.  There are cultures, communities, histories, cuisines and on.  I miss the intrigue of knots, cleats, lines, anchors, etc.  But, I won't be going back to boating!

Members of the yacht club can call me "trailer trash", but I don't mind a bit.
Bill Sprague
Current Secretary, Past Region 1 VP
2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 24TW
Past 3 year owner '15 PleasureWay Pursuit
Past 12 year owner of '04 Monterey w/Cummins ISC 350

Will Hansen

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 05:50:53 PM »
Hey Peter, congratulations on your new rig. We’re just east of Mt. Vernon with an ‘07 Contessa so don’t hesitate to contact me if you need some Contessa questions answered.
-Will
Will and Carla Hansen
Zoe the Yorkie-Pom (ol' Eagle Bait)
2007 Contessa Laguna
C9 400hp Cat
2015 RAM 1500

Jerry Pattison

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 07:09:40 PM »
Welcome, Pete!!  Enjoy your travels, and use the Forum if you have any issues.  Plenty of help here!!
Jerry Pattison
98 Marquis Diamante

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 05:48:24 AM »
Hi Peter, Old thread but just curious if you were able to complete your planned journey last summer? I'm just south of you in Coupeville.
-Gene

2005 Beaver Marquis, Ruby 40, C-13 Cat 525HP, Allison 4k
Coupeville, WA

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 36 years
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 09:55:05 AM »
Hey Bill, didn’t know you were an “old salt” also.  Between 1977 and 1984 I cruised the Columbia, Willamette, and Snake, and towed my 25 foot ‘76 Searay sport cruiser, “Spirit”, to Anacortes often.  The family always got a kick out of transitting the locks of a large dam.  We cruised the San Juan’s, invited friends and relatives to join us, caught lots of salmon, cruised Vancouver Island, and spent over a week docked in Vancouver.  I don’t miss the Labor Day storms during family reunions on Sucia Island, or the time we got caught out on the wrong side of the Columbia Bar when it acted up, but oh the memories, and the stories I can tell!  My sister in Bothell liked it so much that they bought a 28’ Bayliner and named it “Spirit of Calypso” in honor of my boat and Jacque Cousteau.

I’m not sure my wife misses it as much as I, and I’d have to retake the Power Squadron course again, but what fun if I could put a large boat up on plane atop a glassy Strait once more, and have faith that my chart calculations and compass would guide us true.  In ‘84 my section of Safeway quit business, and being unsure of income we sold the “Spirit” (of ‘76).  But soon after I got employment at Fred Meyer, and shortly after got a new Pace Arrow.

Yes, there are similarities between the “hobbies”, and experience with both boats and gas land yachts helped when we moved on to the diesel Beaver in ‘06.  Methinks the boat gave me fewer component issues though;  fewer things to go haywire.  But neglecting to put the drain plug back in the engine compartment when leaving home for Anacortes, won’t darned near sink a land yacht!

I also wonder how Peter’s trip went.  Smelling the roses along the way is much better than circling the country in only 10 weeks.  In 2012 we only went 6000 miles, but took 6 months to do it.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
towing a 1997 Ford Explorer Limited, aka "Pearl"