Author Topic: side maker bulb replacement  (Read 3137 times)

George Frudakis

• BAC Member
side maker bulb replacement
« on: June 27, 2020, 11:33:24 PM »
I purchase new led bulbs for the side maker light. Removed the two screws on the lens and the unit came off. Question how do I get the old light bulbs off and replace with the new one. I know you just pull and plug, but the old bulbs are recesses into the maker light. Can I twist and pull the socket at the rear out or use needle-nose pliers to pull and replace. I just do not want to do damage because of the wire is to short and do not want to replace the hoe unit.
George Frudakis
2002 Marquis, Jasper
Ford F150 Platinum

Lee Welbanks

Re: side maker bulb replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 02:09:20 AM »
I'm guessing here but the bulb is probably a 1156 little bulb and it is a twist to lock bulb, I believe you want to twist it counterclockwise. You may twist the glass bulb out of the base, then you will have to work it out with some needle nosed pliers.

George Frudakis

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 02:31:59 AM »
The side maker light bulb is a 196 , just pull out and push in the new led replacement bulb. The problem is the bulb set deep in the sidelight fixture and I thought the plug with the wire will just turn and pull out for easy access to the bulb. I just do not want to force it if it will not turn.
George Frudakis
2002 Marquis, Jasper
Ford F150 Platinum

David Ciotti

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 01:37:22 PM »
The bulb socket is taped to the reflector unit.  Be careful the plastic is very brittle.  Remove the tape from the outside of the reflector cylinder, twist the bulb socket out of the reflector then the bulb is easy to remove and replace.
2002 Marquis Jasper. 40'. Cat C12

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 02:12:41 PM »
    George,
I am pretty sure that the original marker light bulbs are #194 "push into socket" bulbs. The socket is 1/4 turn to release from the housing. The issue is after being installed in that position for 18 years they are not inclined to move. Replacement sockets are available at any auto parts store if necessary. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

George Frudakis

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 02:48:00 PM »
Thanks all   
Will make it work today
George Frudakis