Author Topic: Screen Door Latch Assembly Replacement  (Read 2585 times)

Gary Donges

• BAC Member
Screen Door Latch Assembly Replacement
« on: July 05, 2020, 04:24:25 AM »
I need to replace the Screen Door Latch Assembly on my 2006 Patriot Thunder. There are posts from a few years back that deal with adjustment but not removal of the assembly from the screen door. I think I have removed every screw anywhere on or near the assembly but apparently I am not as smart as the latch assembly and can't figure out how to get the darned thing seperated from the screen door itself. I sure could use some advice.

Also, among the latch adjustment posts, a fellow linked this information that appears to match the latch assembly befuddeling me; "New RV Fleetwood 580416 Atwood Excel Screen Door Handle Latch 490038" found on eBay.
Gary Donges
Beaver Patriot Thunder Lexington IV 2006 40ft. (2017-    )
C13 Cat
Lake Almanor, CA

Mike Shumack

Re: Screen Door Latch Assembly Replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 04:48:42 PM »
Is this the style latch you have? Photo of my 2005 Coach screen door latch. I have replaced this latch on my Coach. There is a screw (maybe two) that go down from the sliding window track into the latch, so you have to pull the "track/weather-strip" the sliding window uses to get to those screws.
The following users thanked this post: Bryan Beamon, Gary Donges

Gary Donges

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 05:33:38 PM »
Yep, that looks just like my latch. Screws under the weatherstrip wasn't on my radar at all. Terrific "Pro Tip". Is the replacement you used the "New RV Fleetwood 580416 Atwood Excel Screen Door Handle Latch 490038" that shows on eBay for $49.95?

Thanks a lot Mike!
Gary Donges
C13 Cat
Lake Almanor, CA

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 06:16:28 PM »
Gary, I cant remember where I bought it now or the price. I looked for a receipt but didn't find it (yet - I need to organize my receipt folder), but I had this link in my post (below) http://www.nwrvsupply.com/08-03/830094.html

Here is the thread I started when I replaced the latch. Maybe some of the info you are looking for is in this thread.
https://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,8189.msg56587.html#msg56587
The following users thanked this post: Gary Donges

Gary Donges

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 07:06:16 PM »
Still can use a bit more advice on changing the latch. What is the best way to remove the weatherstrip in the slider track without ruining it? Should I drill out the pop rivets in the frame above and below the sliders and around the latch? Image of my screen door attached.

Thanks again for your time, patience and wisdom.
Gary Donges
C13 Cat
Lake Almanor, CA

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 08:19:03 PM »
As I recall I just got a tool (a pick and small screwdriver) under the track/seal in the corner and pried-pulled it out enough to get at the latch mounting screws. I did not remove the slider window sections or drill out any rivets. I don't know if there is a better or recommended way to do this. Sorry but its been a couple of years now and some of the details are foggy.
The following users thanked this post: Gary Donges

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 02:31:59 AM »
Following up on this old topic in case in helps someone in the future. Reading this prompted me to replace my screen door latch which has been broken since I purchased my coach. I ordered the one referenced in the earlier post. As mentioned, there are 2 screws "hidden" in the slider track. The window track pulled up easily for me and I just glued it back down after installation.

Old latch pulled out from the inside easily since my was broken. I had to really work the new one to get it in position.

Also note the length of the striker is longer on the new part. Likely just Beaver trimmed it - as I did with dremel. Nice to have a screen door that latches again. 
-Gene

2005 Beaver Marquis, Ruby 40, C-13 Cat 525HP, Allison 4k
Towing 2018 F-150
Washington