Author Topic: Wasps in the Belfry  (Read 1872 times)

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Wasps in the Belfry
« on: July 05, 2020, 07:45:06 PM »
Well, not quite. Observed wasps hanging around the engine intake vent cover, the one on the left upper side of the end cap. Took a look see with the flashlight, and there were 20+ paper wasps making a new nest, about 3" across! I took the cover off and used a spatula to flick the nest skyward. The wasps weren't happy and were insistent on reclaiming their home. I grabbed some newspaper and loosley stuffed the downpipe toward the air cleaner so dead wasps wouldn't wind up there. Got out the Black Flag and sprayed the wasps. I placed A couple of sheets of newspaper under the cover to keep the wasps out and replaced (sort of) the cover. Wasps constantly trying to get in anywhere they can. I'm thinking about adding a piece of window/door screen to the inside of the cover with openings so small wasps cannot re-enter thru the screen. Anyone had such trouble and do you think a little bit of door screen would cut down on engine breathing enough to be a concern??
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Lee Welbanks

Re: Wasps in the Belfry
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 10:31:31 PM »
Bill, Some screen should do the trick, don't forget the newspaper stuffed in the pipe when you start the coach. My 06 PT already has a pretty tight screen on the inside of the cover.