Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Technical Support / Re: Penguin II "Load Shed" wiring question
« Last post by Bill Lampkin on July 07, 2024, 08:18:52 PM »
Had to cut the yellow wire on our front AC to get it to run. Interested to see where this thread goes. Nice to know I'm not alone with this issue
Technical Support / AC dead
« Last post by Greg Ross on July 07, 2024, 08:17:50 PM »
I was cooling the coach in preperation for leaving on a trip when the AC died, no power to thermostats and 15 Amp fuse in toilet room blows as soon as I replaced the fuse (short) I installed a 20 Amp fuse and it lasted about 10 seconds.
I disconnected the power at both ACs on roof and still short circuit,
Replaced relay behind wood panel (why would you need a relay here?) sttill dead short.
There must be a control of some kind which is common to both ACs where I think the problem is but I do not know where it is,anyone with any ideas?
Thanks
2008 Contessa
Shane
I also have an '06 Monterey and have the same issues.  I have improved the situation slightly by adding insulation.  As you have noticed, the front cap is not insulated.  I stuffed the front cap full of fiberglass batting when I replaced the original TV.  I also added 1 inch block foam insulation in the back of all the cabinets in the front cabin (my wife was complaining that the food in the cabinets was getting too hot).  The area above the engine below the floor in the bedroom is also poorly insulated as well as the rear cap area behind the bedroom closet.  Bottom line is, the coach is poorly insulated and the slide rooms add additional walls that are exposed to exterior heat.  Everything you can do to improve the insulation and minimize heat transfer will help, but if you are already able to keep the interior temperature down to 80 when it is 100 outside, I'd say you are doing very well.  The Monterey is my third diesel pusher.  The other two were much better at maintaining temperature, but they also did not have 4 slides.  I guess it is a bit of a tradeoff. 
Richard 
We store the coach in our garage.  I just went out and checked the temps with my digital meat probe.  Outside the coach inside my garage where its kept its 88 degrees I have 47 degrees coming out of the vents the temp in the coach is at 75 and that is what I have the 2 thermostats set at yesterday.  After reading the replies my wife told me that we do have the outdoor shades that snap over the front and front side windows as well as over all the tires.  I will have to get it out in direct sun and install those to see if that helps.  We have those from the previous owners but Have never used them before so maybe that will help. So is it normal or common in all coaches that if its 100 outside you can only expect 80 inside?  I was told that some coaches were poorly insulated and wasn't sure if my was one of those.  We love our Beaver the quality is amazing but as I said its our first and don't have anything to compare it to or what to expect.  We really want to get it to where its comfortable inside in the summertime and not have to be hot and sweaty while trying to enjoy it. 

All the windows were tinted when we bought the coach from the previous owner not sure if they were tinted at the factory or them but all are tined and as I said I had the windshield tinted.

Also yes when I were camping I do set the fan to HI mode as it does help a little. 

I also noticed that above the front seats where the tv is and the cabinet where my stereo and satellite reciever are located you can see the daylight through the upper marker lights and there is a ton of open space and no insulation there.  I was wondering if I took the tv out and shoved a bunch of insulation up in there if anyone else had done that or if that would help?

It' reported that using a reflective sheet inside behind an exterior window can cause damage to the window seal, etc. due to the resultant heat build -up between the window and the sheet. Forgot to mention in previous post; be sure to have the fan speed set on high. Have you measured the temp coming out of each heat pump? It should be 20 degrees or more below outside ambient.
Steve
Our coach came from one of its prior owners equipped with exterior snap-on shades for the windshield, the left-side driver's window, and the first two right-side passenger's windows.  Soon after we unload the 45-foot traveling suitcase in Yuma (that would be our coach), I get out a ladder and install these shades on the snaps.  Also, outside the windshield and entry door window but under the exterior snap-on shades I slide in a piece of reflective-bubble insulating foil precut to fit the windows.  The snap-on shades hold the reflective-bubble insulating foil in place.  The largest heat source, direct sun through the front windshield, is immediately shut off and is left outside the windshield and window.
I have seen coaches parked around Quartzsite, Yuma, Phoenix, etc., with snap-on shades on all their windows.
Technical Support / Re: Penguin II "Load Shed" wiring question
« Last post by David T. Richelderfer on July 07, 2024, 10:21:39 AM »
Our coach has three roof AC/Heat Pumps.  I can turn them on in rapid succession (as fast as I can walk between the two thermostats) and they will start up sequentially a few minutes apart.  Isn't that delay with sequential startup due to a "load sharing" function?
I have to agree with Steve.  It makes a huge difference when I mount the Shade Master front window covers on our coach that’s similar to yours.  Keep in mind that even home AC units commonly only go 20 degrees below ambient temperature, and the nation, especially the south, are maxing out right now.  You do have to accept that in summer in certain areas, there are just plain limits to what can be done.

When we spent weeks in Tekamah, NE, in 2012, humidity was worse than anything we were used to in NW Oregon and daily temps pushed 110 or more, and up to 90F inside.  No wonder most of the Ashley’s moved from there to the Northwest in the 1920’s.  In the city park, RV spots faced east.  Thank goodness there were tall hardwoods in the grassy park behind us so afternoons brought shade.  But we couldn’t have handled it if the Shade Masters weren’t shielding the interior, plus we could see out during the day while no one outside could see in.

Our covers were custom made on-site at our first FMCA rally for a good price, and match one of the coach colors.

https://www.shadepro.net/product/rv-windshield-covers/

Joel
Shane,
IMHO if you don't have exterior blackout screens on the windshield and front windows; drivers, door and small pass side, you will never get it cool. There is just too much heat coming through those sources for the ACs to handle in mid day. Tinting all of your side windows also will provide considerable help as well as keeping the interior blackout shades down during the day. We had a similar issue with our 07 and those steps did the trick. Be careful modifying the AC ducting as you may make the situation worse.
Steve
Oh yeah forgot to mention that I also asked the RV shop if they could install a 3rd AC in the vent above the microwave and the didn't seem to thrilled about that.  They did mention that someone has come out with these new 18K units but I'm really tired of just throwing more money at this to jus find out it didn't fix my problem as that is the way this have been going for a long time now.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10