Author Topic: Run Barbeque Grill from Propane System  (Read 6724 times)

Dennis n Heather Crawford

Run Barbeque Grill from Propane System
« on: June 12, 2011, 09:08:45 PM »
Is it possible, with the right line etc., to run a portable barbeque grill from the on board propane system?
I have a 2003 Monterey Newport.

Richard And Babs Ames

Re: Run Barbeque Grill from Propane System
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 11:23:56 PM »
Yes, as simple as installing a tee with a disconnect and connecting hose. Places like Camping World or other RV parts and repair point will have the parts and can install. The LP tank on our motorhome has two valves so would only need the connector and hose.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 01:05:04 AM »
Dennis,

Assuming your '03, my '04 and other Beavers use the same propane tank it is not as easy as buying the adapter or "Y" from Camping World made by "Mr. Heater".  The guard installed to protect the tank valve and regulator does not leave enough room.  I solved that by combining a "T", a "45" and a "90" brass fitting in an odd combination.  That made it all fit so that I could screw on a hose with the fitting that duplicates the disposable propane can and barbecue threads.  At first, to put the BBQ on the patio side of the motorhome took two hoses connected end to end.  Then I figured out a way to run a single hose across the frame rails and fastened with tie wraps.  I now can set the Weber under the slide window without too much trouble.  Remember that doing it this way has high pressure propane running through a hose from one side of the motorhome to the other.  Not everyone will like that!

One odd thing can result.  Occasionally the propane in the long hose condenses to a liquid state.  Then as it approaches the BBQ regulator the expansion causes the regulator to freeze and the flame goes out.  Pouring hot water on the BBQ regulator fixes it!

Another way to do it is to install a "T" in the low pressure line under the slide out that goes to the kitchen burners.  It would take a few fittings, and you might have to go to a propane appliance store to get the appropriate quick connect.  And, you would have to modify your BBQ, by removing the pressure regulator.  The gas in the kitchen line has already been reduce by the motorhome's original equipment regulator so you don't do it twice.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 06:15:16 AM by 14 »

Keith Oliver

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 04:22:54 AM »
What a lot of trouble just to get a system these coaches should have had as Original Equipment!  there is a bay without a handle, right behind the front wheel on the passenger side.  It is secured with bolts or pins.  I opened it up to find that it is open to the road, but will make an excellent place to stow a gas BBQ with its own 5 lb tank.  In fact, a PO has already built a box in there that is just the right size. Then no messing with the coach gas.  I will get a pair of stainless quick pins, so all I will have to do is pull them and lift.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 08:01:12 AM »
For 25 years or more we've carried a small tank that looks like a pint-size version of a standard home BBQ one.  In a pinch, we've used it to fire a radiant heater.  It doesn't take up much room in a bay, is probably about 2 gallons (5-8 lbs), and I can't remember the last time I filled it - certainly many years ago.  It's convenient because I configured a "T" of brass piping for it, with one outlet at the very top of a 3 foot pipe, and two or three outlets at the bottom, where it connects to the tank head.  

I usually just use a 16 oz. toss-away tank for the Weber BBQ, but never relished the consequences of the tank running dry half way through a steak.  For larger operations, the bigger tank sits in the middle of a campsite picnic table with the "T" on it, and a special coleman lantern screwed to the top of the 3 ft. pipe, where it lights up things at night.  To the "T"'s bottom outlets at the tank head I can mount the Weber plus a Coleman propane campstove, and greatly assist the buscuit burner when cooking for a crowd.  I recall buying the basic multi-outlet "T" with long extension at a sporting goods store, along with the extra hoses for multiple devices, but nowdays Camping World advertises a similar device called a compact distribution tree, #30335.

Though I've also considered tieing into our coach's system, given the effort involved it never seemed as good a way to go overall as my old tried-and-true, easy to store (and forget) little system that takes up less room than the old original Weber portable BBQ itself.

-  ;) Joel
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 08:11:49 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Brett Willis

George H. Wall

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 06:20:28 PM »
I tied into the propane line at the upward 90 degree turn to my REFRIG, with a female quik-connect, that fits a male quik-connect on the end of a 25 ft low pressure hose. If you use this setup you must use a low pressure stove, such as the black all metal ones available for around $20, or disconnect the pressure reducer on your normal stove, or the pressure will be too low for the stove to function. This length will reach most picnic tables at most sites and the flexible line rolls up into a small coil that is easily stored.