Author Topic: Well another hard lesson learned  (Read 2838 times)

Jason Worman

Well another hard lesson learned
« on: August 18, 2020, 06:17:01 AM »
Hi All

So this morning took coach to get new manual steps installed at my friends welding shop, three hours later new steps in place and work great. They had to weld on plates for bolts to attach as new steps orginal bolt holes were to wide. Fast forward to after work, heading home I get a frantic call from our daughter, she came home and I had grey tank valve closed, she starting washing machine and got busy. Bathroom overflowed and flooded coach. We spent some quality daddy/daughter time removing wet flooring, DW is out of town visiting her sister. Earlier in day, DW was upset that one piece of flooring was removed to mount the new steps.

We did rock, paper, scissors on who got to call mom about flooded coach. Needless to say, tonight loud fans, furnace and heaters running to dry things out. On the bright side, found put bathroom floor had been retaining water and subfloor was showing signs of mold and warpage. We are going to tile the rig, vinyl flooring we used just did not do the job for us. Sewer hose and grey tank valve will always be attached and open after getting back from driving rig.

Jason Worman

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Re: Well another hard lesson learned
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 01:45:42 PM »
Wow! When it rains it pours. Nearly had the same washer situation happen to me. The water pooled in the shower and I caught it in time to open the valve before it flowed over.... Whew! Hope things get better for you.  Good luck!
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired
The following users thanked this post: Mike Sulley

Jason Worman

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 04:15:13 PM »
Hi All,

Here are some pics of last nights fun. Like I said, we discovered other problem spot, especially the bathroom. We installed this vinyl flooring two years ago.

Jason

Peter and Connie Bradish

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 04:49:42 PM »
Was curious what caused leak but finally read the original post. Sorry, Connie B.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 05:49:58 PM »
Wow! When it rains it pours. Nearly had the same washer situation happen to me. The water pooled in the shower and I caught it in time to open the valve before it flowed over.... Whew! Hope things get better for you.  Good luck!

Same here - twice!
It was a little difficult for DW to monitor the grey tanks level as you had to lower and turn on the TV or use the Kenwood dash display to see tank levels. When running the dishwasher or washing machine, and showering, it was easy to fill that tank quickly.

So to make it easier on wife and myself, I add a tank display panel to the kitchen counter. Now it just takes the press of a button to see the tanks levels. No excuses now if my tank overflows.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 10:29:19 PM »
The problem with leaving the waste valves open is that your tanks won’t actively flush clean.  It increases the chances of a failed sensor or a jammed valve. 

Perhaps it best to put a reminder tag on the washing machine to open the gray valve before use.  A substantive plastic tag with a lead that could tuck into and be held by the closed detergent tray might do.  Or use a Command Strip hook for it on the washer front. 

And just make it good practice to never run the washer when someone’s not going to be in the coach.  The one and only time our gray tank was fuller than I figured when the washer was started, the smell of the backup into the shower was not ignorable.  Opening the gray valve is now just a naturally thought-of part of our washing routine.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 12:24:52 AM »
Fouled sensor or jammed valve= reward; Coach flooded with greywater= risk. I'll keep the grey valve open.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."