Author Topic: Coach goes into limp mode  (Read 2461 times)

Laurel Moore

• BAC Member
Coach goes into limp mode
« on: August 15, 2020, 09:46:01 PM »
My daughter has a 2011 holiday rambler Ambassador with a unusual problem. Transmission goes into limp mode, engine drops to600 rpm. You can turn key off restart engine  and go. It has been to 3 different Cummings shops ,codes show no  problem.any input would  be appreciated.
Laurel Moore
2009 Beaver Contessa 43ft
Toad 2011 Jeep Wrangler

Mike Shumack

Re: Coach goes into limp mode
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 02:00:22 PM »
Why do you say it is in "limp mode". Are you getting an engine warning light?

What engine (I assume Cummins) is in the Coach?

Possibly you have a bad throttle (accelerator pedal) position sensor (engine issue and not transmission related).
Do you have any throttle (rpm) control when this happens?

Rick Daniels

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 08:30:13 PM »
Nearly every diesel-powered vehicle built since 2010 is equipped with Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR), meaning they require Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) to function.  DEF has a shelf life.  I have had more than a couple DEF required diesel engines that were seldom used and exhibited the same symptoms when taken out of storage and the "limp mode" was caused by bad DEF.  Don't know if the 2011 Holiday Rampler required DEF.  Even though the coach is a 2011, the chassis may have been built prior to Jan 1, 2010 and would likely not require DEF.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 08:35:55 PM by Rick Daniels »
1999 Beaver Marquis Jasper 40' Cat C-12
2020 Chev 1500 High Country
Three Forks, Montana
"Where the Missouri River Begins"

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 12:00:07 AM »
Rick’s assessment sounds more plausible, but it could also be low coolant level in a surge tank.  When we once experienced a failed hose, the level went below the tank’s sensor which then protected the engine by “derating” it.  It could be your daughter’s tank fluid is just at that place where at a certain temp point/level and/or road crown it sloshes away from the sensor. 

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 02:18:05 AM »
You may want to Google Irv2 and try their boards for Holiday Rambler and another for Cummins engines. Hope I'm not running afoul of the rules here.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Laurel Moore

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 12:20:56 PM »
All answers to my problem sounds like real possibilities I will check each one out and let you know my findings thanks a lot
Laurel Moore
Toad 2011 Jeep Wrangler

Laurel Moore

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 12:39:59 PM »
Rick , this coach was setting a lot, did you add def  to solve the problem?
Laurel Moore
Toad 2011 Jeep Wrangler

Laurel Moore

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 11:40:30 AM »
It is a max force engine , no Def. when this happens  rpm @ 500  dash lights trans fail note.turn off restart and go.it seem to be more electrical.
Laurel Moore
Toad 2011 Jeep Wrangler

Rick Daniels

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 06:45:18 PM »
Hey Laurel, I assumed it was a diesel pusher either Cat or Cummins.  In my case I had to drain the DEF tank and add new DEF and all was well.  I am totally ignorant on Max Force engines.  Sounds to me like a sensor problem of some kind but that's an ignorant shot in the dark.
Three Forks, Montana

Rick Daniels

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 07:05:58 PM »
Some of the 2011 - 2014 Max Force diesel engines were subject to a class action law suit wherein they were found to have not complied with the "Def" requirement in all vehicles manufactured after 2010.  Yours may be one of those diesel engines that hit the market without a "DEF" system.  If yours is Diesel and was manufactured after 2010 without a DEF system it is out of compliance on EPA rules.  I don't know the details or the final outcome of the law suit but It's worth time to check it out.  You would think that some accommodation must have been made for the benefit of persons who bought them.   
Three Forks, Montana

Gerald Farris

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 04:23:37 AM »
Rick,
None of the Max Force engines from 2010 to 2014 used DEF. Navistar used an EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system to reduce nitric oxides instead of DEF. The problem with the system, other than it did not furnish adequate reduction, was that there was inadequate design and testing of system components that lead to very high maintenance and down time for the trucking industry. That is the reason for the law suits over the engine, and Navistar has lost many of them. The most expensive design flaw issues are related to EGR coolers that last only 20% of the engine design life and repeated turbo charger failures.

If you are having problems with a Navistar EGR engine, you would be well advised to take it to a Navistar (International Truck) dealer instead of a Cummins dealer. The two engines have a very different design when it comes to operating systems.

Gerald

Rick Daniels

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 01:14:56 PM »
That's interesting Gerald

That explains why my son in law, who owns a trucking company, has always said stay away from Navistar engines.  As to Laurel's issue I, with less than novice knowledge of diesel mechanics, would suspect a connection to the Navistar EGR system.  I have always believed that one should always rely on Cat dealers for Cat problems, Cummins dealers for Cummins problems and now Navistar for Navistar problems. 
Three Forks, Montana