Author Topic: retracting panel  (Read 1590 times)

Dennis Belfils

retracting panel
« on: September 01, 2020, 11:32:05 PM »
Not quite sure what the proper name of the wooden panel lower left of the washer dryer that retracts as the kitchen slide goes in. This panel is mounted on a spring wound dowel & attached to the plumbing/electrical lines that run to the kitchen area. As the slides goes out, the panel is pulled thru an upper & lower track. At sometime the springs that wind the fabric backed wood slates, weakened & broke up the panel. I am looking to see if someone has replaced or come up with an alternative for our 06 Monterey. Thanx

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: retracting panel
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 12:26:13 AM »
   Dennis,
The sliding wood slats with the fabric backer is called tambour. It is relatively easy to repair if you have all the pieces. Monaco used this system for years and it works well if you spray some silecone spray in the upper and lower tracks a couple times a year. They use a pocket door track at the top with a trolley that supports the plumbing and electrical that extends and retracts with the room. I think you can access the coil track from the false panel at the end of the cabinet. Take pictures where they attached the retracting spring and the ty-wraps. You can use 3-M 90 spray adhesive and new canvas fabric to rebuild the tambour. Fun project and hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 03:34:32 AM »
My tambour is broken beyond repair. I've Googled tambour supplier and found several at least one of which is in the Phoenix area. They are manufactured for roll top desks and kitchen counter 'garages'.
As for the sliding door suspension contraption, it too has failed, which is the cause of the crushed tambour. The track-like device that rolls and unrolls the kitchen plumbing just free wheels now and has done so for several years without problems. Touch wood.
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

Dennis Belfils

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 03:29:04 PM »
Thanx Guys. I think if I can get it to retract, I can live with the cosmetics. I slides freely in the tracks, but the springs appear to be too weak now. Any suggestions?

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 03:45:43 PM »
    Dennis,
If you cannot see the original location of attachment of the spring, with the room extended, pick a fixed point that has just enough tension to pull the tambour closed and use a ty-wrap to secure. Gradually retract the room and see if the tambour retracts back into the coil. You may need to fine tune the travel if the mechanism is operational. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6