Author Topic: Water pump question  (Read 1952 times)

Jason Worman

Water pump question
« on: September 03, 2020, 06:21:13 AM »
Hi All,
So I am using the fresh water tank instead of hooking up to city water. I notice every so often I heat my water pump click on for a few seconds while I am not using any water. It quickly turns on and shuts off. Could I have a leak somewhere in the fresh water system? When the pump sense this small change in water pressure and energiz? I don't use the ice maker anymore and toilet level always stays the same.

Thanks
Jason

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Water pump question
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 08:43:42 AM »
You could have a leak, but often such symptoms just mean a faucet somewhere isn’t fully closed.  Check any outside “shower” shutoffs and that the water manifold drain valves are fully closed.  Then feel around the pump’s fittings for dampness.  After that I reckon I’d start looking behind drawers and cabinets for any sign of fitting failure, especially any newly worked on area or appliance.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 02:11:25 PM »
    Jason,
Two other possibilities are the check valves inside the water pump and the check valve inside the city water connection. To isolate the problem, if you can remove the output water line from the pump and temporarily install a female cap. If it continues to cycle it is the pump. If it stops cycling, you have a leak somewhere. A 30 year old coach has more potential of a leak. The water line to the ice maker is a good place to look. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 02:40:16 PM »
When our water pump cycled every few minutes, we found a split in the small, plastic water line that feeds the ice maker.  The split was near the propane flame that heats the fridge's cooling system.  You say you're not using the ice maker but did you turn off the water supply valve feeding the ice maker.  Our supply valve is in the box with the freshwater pump.  Anyways, when we removed the exterior access panel behind the fridge, it was obvious there was a "squirter."  Other than that, as previously stated, look for a dripping faucet; a dripping valve on the clothes washer, dish washer, or toilet; a dripping splice on a water line; or a failed back-flow valve in the freshwater pump or water-fill valve.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!