Author Topic: Headlights 2005 Santiam  (Read 5403 times)

Jeff Fitzloff

• BAC Member
Headlights 2005 Santiam
« on: October 13, 2020, 02:47:14 PM »
Has anyone replaced there headlights on a Santaim? Ours are fogged over so bad a can not clean them up! I took the attached picture it looks like the three screws are what holds the lights in. Does anyone have any more guidance on my project?
2005 Santiam

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: Headlights 2005 Santiam
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 03:15:42 PM »
Jeff
How did you try cleaning them.
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 03:33:19 PM »
Jeff
Try wet sanding the lenses work your way up to 5000 grit wet paper at first the water that comes off will be yellowish as the oxidization comes off it will eventually clear when you get the lenses sand to a clear look( may still be a little full from sanding)
Then spray them with a spray on clear coat ( right from home hardware or any good hardware store this will give the lenses the UV protection to keep them from oxidizing again ( at least for awhile) of course the better the clear coat the better the UV protection.

I did this to the headlights in my 1996 Patriot and the results where nothing short of amazing.
Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 06:28:16 PM »
Jeff,
There should be a DOT # in the lenses. Google it and you should be able to ID the source of the unit, if cleaning doesn't work.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Jeff Fitzloff

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 11:22:46 PM »
Sorry I forgot to include I have new ones!

I tried the Cleaner made by mothers!
2005 Santiam

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 03:10:12 AM »
Here are the replacements I put on our 2005 Monterey. Got them on Ebay for $133.00 for the pair. (you can get OEM Lincoln Navigator ones from Ford for $385.00). I didn't go the OEM route because no matter what you do, they have to be modified to fit. So, I figured I'd rather screw up the modification of cheaper ones.

I tried every lens cleaner on the market for 6-1/2 years. They still looked like crap after a couple of months.

The new ones turned out good.

Mike Shumack sent me pictures of the ones he did, and how he cut them to fit. Did exactly the same.

Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 10:46:15 AM »
Just an FYI
Replacement is great and a sure fix but a pain.
I tried the sanding and the toothpaste and others.  Best thing I found was also the easiest and lasts 6mos or more.
White Diamond metal polish and two clean rags.  That is it and about 5 minutes per side .  Bad ones you need to do twice but that is barely see light through them kind of bad.
White Diamond is made for this but its in the fine print.  It is available at most auto parts stores. 
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 11:22:03 AM »
When our coach was new I went across the street from BCS in Bend, and had Driving Force Graphics put film on the headlights and driving lamps to protect against rocks.  This after finding a broken driving light after the maiden voyage.  The first application developed wrinkles where the lights curved, and dirt got trapped underneath.  On a subsequent trip through Bend, the company replaced the film at no cost.  It happened again, but this time they used a newer product that seems to be holding its form.  The secondary benefit to the film is that there has been no fogging over in 14 years.  Should the film ever get badly nanoscratched from repeated wash brushing, etc., it can be replaced easier than a new light.

There are similar companies in cities across the country, and once you have new or resurfaced lights installed, you might consider having film applied by a reputable and experienced one.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 03:03:09 PM »
Jeff
No one has answered your original question I probably because your coach model is not all that common and or the owners of such don't frequent the forum.
I am not familiar with your coach model but from the picture you posted those could very well be the retaining screws for the head lamp assembly but I would guess there should be screws on the upper and lower to secure it in place.
If you can get in behind the cap and find the access to the head light bulbs the retaining screws should be fairly close .
I know this isn't all that helpful but that is just one of those jobs you have to use some logic and trial and error there shouldn't be anything in there you can hurt .
Good luck
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Mike Shumack

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 06:09:30 PM »
Has anyone replaced there headlights on a Santaim? Ours are fogged over so bad a can not clean them up! I took the attached picture it looks like the three screws are what holds the lights in. Does anyone have any more guidance on my project?

Your headlights should have studs with nuts & washers holding it in. I'm not sure what your photo is showing (it's too close in). Those screws are not in the correct place or spacing for headlights.

Here's some photos of the headlight mounting on the 2005 Patriot (which used the 98-01 Lincoln Navigator assemblies).

Jeff Fitzloff

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2020, 02:53:31 PM »
Thank you all!

Yes that is close that’s all the room I have!

The new lights do not have studs!

I will dive in on Saturday!
2005 Santiam