Author Topic: Generator stalls when engine started  (Read 8282 times)

JimCasazze

Generator stalls when engine started
« on: July 04, 2011, 10:05:48 PM »
Can anyone else comment on whether their Onan 8K generator stalls when the coach engine is started?  Our coach is a '99 Pat Thunder with C12.  We've had the coach since Jan, 2011 and every time we start the coach engine the genset stalls.  Other than that the genset works perfectly.  Is this normal?  If not, any ideas why this would be happening?  It will re-start no-problem, but I'd not too happy with it stalling out when under load (if I forget to shut it down).

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
Re: Generator stalls when engine started
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 12:44:23 AM »
Ours does not stall. I have no idea what would cause that unless it has something  to do with the chassis batteries. I Am sure someone has an idea on here.
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 02:18:38 AM »
This is from a prior post. My genset dies when we start the coach also...

It is good to know that someone else has experienced this same quirk. I feel better about that.....

The root cause of the generator shutting down that I am proposing, is not related to a charging issue from the generator. You are right that the generator primarily charges the house batteries via the Xantrex and that was all working fine. It is that the generator shares the chassis batteries with the C12, and while the generator is running it is monitoring itself and using some electronics to manage and control its operation (like over temp, low oil pressure, holding the fuel solenoid open and pumping fuel, etc.). While you are cranking the C12 my guess is that the 12V chassis battery wiring harness that provides the necessary continuous operating voltage that the generator requires drops to maybe 8 or 9V. During that interval, voltage wise, I am thinking that we dropped below the voltage operating window required by the generator electronics to sustain running and it shut itself down. The generator was running several hours and just died while cranking the C12 and then it restarted immediatly without any hesitation so my thinking is that this was not coincidence.....The shut down timing was just too perfect.
Later Ed

Keith Oliver

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 02:43:01 AM »
I too!
I think Ed has the theory down.  In my case, I had dead start batteries and I was running the gen to charge them, (didn't yet know the echo charger was dead, hence the dead batteries) and when I hit the combiner button and tried starting the CAT, the genset died.  After I replaced the batteries I haven't tried starting while running the genset, but I like Ed's theory.

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 03:23:14 AM »
That sounds logical to me Ed. I was thinking the same thing but had no experience to know if that's how it works. Thanks Ed!
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Butch Martin

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 03:24:52 AM »
When my chassis batteries were low on my previous 97 Pat., the genset would kick out when the Big Cat was started.  I related it to low voltage/amperage pull from the starter.  The genset would restart and I never figured the symptom was not a problem.

Butch
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 03:25:43 AM by 6422 »

Roger Schneider

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 04:29:56 PM »
I experienced the same problem with my 97 Patriot.  I was told by Dick Winchell in Beaver Service to engage the battery boost switch while starting the Cat to avoid stalling the genset.

Roger Schneider
03 Marquis

JimCasazze

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 11:50:03 PM »
Thank for the comments, theories and ideas.  I will try the combined next time and share the outcome.  Hadn't considered a low voltage shutdown and was thinking fuel. We'll see what happens...

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 02:55:10 AM »
Jim,
There is almost no chance that the shutdown is fuel related, because your generator uses a different supply line from the tank than the engine does. The generator and heating unit use a fuel pick-up higher in the tank than the engine so that the generator can not run you out of fuel when dry camped. For that reason there is no commonality in the two fuel systems other than the fact that they both use the same supply tank.

Gerald

JimCasazze

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 04:48:05 AM »
Gerald,
Thanks for adding your comment, as that really does seem to rule out fuel being the problem.  It also answers another question I had been thinking about for some time, regarding whether Beaver used a shorter pickup tube in the tank for the genset.  In a past life, one of my older coaches had that feature, which I would hope is pretty common.
J
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 05:44:32 AM by 14 »

exwarrantyman

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 05:53:37 PM »
Rest easy Gentlemen. The generator is wired to the chassis batteries. Thus when starting engine with gen running, gen senses a severe voltage drop and shuts down.
Did this on coaches for years. Pushing down on boost switch while starting will eliminate this issue.

JimCasazze

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 03:17:47 AM »
ex: thanks, you are 100% correct.  Pushing combiner switch solves the voltage drop shutdown problem.  I actually watched the voltmeter show a huge difference when combining vs trying to start the engine with chassis battery alone.   Problem Solved!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 05:28:45 AM by 14 »