Author Topic: Chassis batteries not changing from generator  (Read 3820 times)

Mack Turner

Chassis batteries not changing from generator
« on: December 17, 2020, 08:11:40 PM »
My alternator is charging my chassis batteries fine but when running the generator it is not charging the chassis batteries but it does charge the house batteries, is that a bad isolator or a bad Eco charger?

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Chassis batteries not changing from generator
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 08:22:52 PM »
If your alternator is charging both the chassis and house battery banks, then my guess is your Echo Charger is working... at least in one direction.  How many fuses does an Echo Charger have built in?
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Mack Turner

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 08:42:08 PM »
not actually sure how many fuses it has, according to the book it should have one going to the house and one going to the chassis batteries, I just have to figure out where they are and what they would look like. It may be the fuse going to the Eco charger from the generator because I don't see a light on the Eco charger.

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 09:52:52 PM »
Mack,

the Echo Charger manual is in the Coach Assist section. All the operating functions and installation of Echo Charger are in the manual. Hope this helps.
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 12:09:57 AM »
   Mack,
 The alternator charges the chassis and house batteries thru the isolator. The Echo charger only charges the chassis batteries after it sees a threshold voltage of 13.2 going to the house batteries. The fuses you are looking for have a yellow housing and are typically connected to the posts on the isolator. The red wire with the yellow trace line is the chassis battery and the solid red wire is the house batteries. They both contain 20amp "slo-blow" fuses. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Mack Turner

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 02:16:08 AM »
Checked the voltage across the six volt batteries and then across the chassis batteries, the house batteries were at about 6.7v but the chassis battery was at 11.9v and the Eco charger wasn't coming on, I noticed this because my hydro hot fans registers weren't running, put a battery charger on the house batteries and got them back up to 12.8 and the hydro hot kicked on as well as the Eco charger. Isn't the hydro hot supposed to be connected to the house batteries and not the chassis batteries as it appears to be? From what I can tell looking at the books for this coach it was originally 12 volt house batteries as well and I'm wondering if the conversion to six volt had them move the hydro hot to the house batteries or is that correct? The book for the Eco charger says it will shut itself off if it sees too much of a voltage variance between the house and chassis batteries and I'm wondering if that's what shut it down?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 08:30:06 PM by Mack Turner »

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 01:10:21 PM »
    Mack,
I looked at the 2000 Patriot brochere in our technical library (which you have access to) and it states the coach has 2- 12volt chassis batteries and 4-6volt house batteries. The house batteries are connected 2 in parallel and 2 in series so you end up with 2- large 12volt batteries. The hydro hot is fed by the house batteries. If you look at the electrical print #2505700 you will see how it is configured. If you want to talk to me further, send me a personal massage and I will be glad to talk to you.
    Merry Christmas, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Mack Turner

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2020, 02:46:10 AM »
All the batteries are charged and holding a charge, and everything is functioning. I do appreciate your help thanks.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2020, 12:46:19 PM »
    Hi Mack,
It was my pleasure to assist and message back and forth until you resolved your concerns. Once we put this year behind us we will hopefully all get out there and have some fun with our coaches and loved ones! Blessings & Merry Christmas, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV