Author Topic: Fuel Issue  (Read 2765 times)

JimNCheryl Domenoe

Fuel Issue
« on: January 05, 2021, 10:20:14 PM »
Fault code 36 is fuel related....how much fuel is in your tank?

Just filled up.  Completely full.  Ran for a few hours then stumbled and died. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 02:11:21 AM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
Re: Fuel Issue
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 10:40:56 PM »
When it rains, it pours huh?....I wonder if there is something weird with the fuel. Kinda strange that the generator and hydro-hot both quit soon after filling up? Were any of the filters changed just recently or only at the last service? Will either of them start after sitting for awhile?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 02:11:11 AM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4328
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat - Sold

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 12:15:19 AM »
Jim
It sounds like you may have picked up a load of water in your new fuel fill.
Check the engines water separator for water as the engines fuel pickup is deeper in the tank than the pickup for the gen set or Aquahot if there is water at the engine fuel separator it a good possibility the gen set and Aquahot have water issues.

To verify  the gen set I'd remove the fuel supply line from the back of the gen set it is below the fuel level so it will start to syphon , allow it to run into quart glass masson jar then allow it to settle and check for the presence of water in the bottom of the jar as the fuel will float on top of it.
If it is full of water you'll need to get it out of the tank there should be a drain plug in the center of the bottom of the fuel tank be careful once that plug comes out it's hard to get back in !!
After you have drained the tank to the point where you have clean fuel coming out you can put the plug back
 at this point you need to replace the fuel filters bleed the systems prime and add some type of fuel conditioner into the fuel tank
 I usually used a product called Seafoam.
After priming several times to get fresh fuel through the gen it should start and run.
Also keep an eye on the water separator for the engine and drain any water frequently.
Hope this helps
Eric
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 02:11:00 AM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

JimNCheryl Domenoe

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 01:20:56 AM »
Both the generator and Hurricane were serviced at Beaver in Oregon.  The Hurricane was serviced because it kept flaming out.  They replaced a fuel nozzle and fuel line and it worked for awhile.  This problem has happened twice before, so this makes the third.  The generator was serviced consisting of an oil change, coolant change and new fuel filter. 

The Hurricane has been nothing but trouble for several years.  Fortunately, I don't have to rely on it very often. But I did need it when it crapped out. This was before my new tank of fuel so I don't believe it is a water issue.  The generator on the other hand, has always worked flawlessly.  This is my first problem. 

I will check for water in the tank to see if that may be the issue.  I consistently add Pri-D fuel additive at each fill-up.  Never had a problem with water before.  I will have to find a suitable location to drain the tank before I try it. 

Jim
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 02:10:42 AM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
Fuel Issues
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 02:38:12 PM »
Jim
As I said earlier the engine fuel pickup is the deepest in the tank if you have water it should have showed up in the fuel water separator if no water there I would be looking at the fuel feed lines to both the hurricane and the gen set .
May of us here have had those fuel supply lines get rotten and allow the hurricane or gen to suck air instead of fuel
The hurricane units are very prone to flame out if they don't get good clean fuel meaning no air bubbles.
The down side to fixing the fuel lines is the fuel tank has to come down at least 8 or 10 inches at the front to access the fuel pickups on the top of the tank and that usually requires disconnecting the fuel fill tubes which sometimes means replacement them as they don't like to come off and in most cases have turned hard.
Best access can be gained by dropping the tank down onto the front axle tilting it forward gives the most room to work but the tank is best drained first and even then it's not a nice place to work.
Some here on the forum have connected the hurricane to the gen fuel feed but in your case it appears they are both effected.
You could try running both units out of a jerry can to confirm that fuel is your issue but I bet those lines are the fault of both your ailments.
Hope this helps Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

JimNCheryl Domenoe

Re: Fuel Issues
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 04:51:08 PM »
That sounds like a monumental task for a middling garage mechanic like me.  I will try running them from a Jerry can and see if they will run like that.  At least I have places to look.  I appreciate the tips as they help me isolate the problem.  The coach is 21+ years old and these problems are likely to be expected at that age.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 08:26:01 PM »
Jim
If you do take the fuel tank down check the main fuel lines running back to the engine some of the Beaver coaches had plastic fittings where they connect to the tank these plastic fittings have been known to degrade with time and create problems so if it has plastic ones replace them while your there.
And I hear ya I'm 60 now and rolling around under these things isn't getting any easier.
Good luck
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

JimNCheryl Domenoe

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 08:52:30 PM »
Fault code 36 is fuel related....how much fuel is in your tank?

147 gallons

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 09:08:13 PM »
Ya Jim that's over 1000 lbs of fuel that's too much weight to try to removed the tank without draining it.
You could probably disconnect the fuel line at the fuel separator and allow it to syphon into jerry cans.
Or remove one of the fuel fill tubes and pump the fuel out that way I used a couple empty of 55 gallon oil barrels in your case you will need three.
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 11:27:11 PM »
Jim,
I don't think your problem is related to the fuel in your tank. You noted that the Hurricane failed prior to the fill up. The Geni failed after service, which included a new fuel filter. I'd check to make sure they tightened the fuel lines to and from the filter and that there are no cracks in the lines to and from the filter and that they installed the correct filter.
The Hurricane is another matter. Consider calling Rixens for assistance. They were very helpful (and patient) when helping me solve an air purge issue in our 00 Marquis.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2021, 01:20:27 AM »
   When I bought my 2000 Marquis I found 3 service bills for over $1000 from 3 different repair  shops claiming they fixed the Hurricane. Mine would run for a short time and then flame out. Investigation on my part said lets check the fuel filter. Found out that someone installed an inline filter with 1/4" inlet and outlet in a 5/16" fuel hose and tried there best to tighten the clamps. I installed a new filter with 5/16" inlet and outlet, new clamps and all is well for 6 years. (still gotta do the maintenance on the nozzle).
  Should we start a new thread about fuel issues? Just asking for a friend.
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6