Author Topic: Upper brace for entry door  (Read 2583 times)

John Ziomek

• BAC Member
Upper brace for entry door
« on: January 08, 2021, 08:51:02 PM »
The upper arm brace (?) for our entry door has finally seen better days. Very floppy....pretty sure just wore out (2006 Monterey).

Thought I would start here looking for a solution......and or suggestions for repair or replacement ideas.

Thanks!!
2006 Beaver Monterey 40'

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Upper brace for entry door
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 09:11:43 PM »
Do a search on this site for 'front door issue'. A fellow Monaco owner will rebuild your strut like new for around $50. Mine works like new after two years since I had it rebuilt.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

John Ziomek

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 05:08:10 AM »
Thank for the great lead Bill..very helpful and informative.

Best to you!!!!

JZ

2006 Beaver Monterey 40'

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 06:15:15 AM »
I'm having the same problem with my front door swing arm. I've bent the little tab up so it at least stops, but the rivet is pretty loose and the assembly probably needs to come off to try tighten it up or replace.

Here's info I found on the gent who may be able to do a rebuild. 
   Randall Bergen, 249 Cherry Blossom Trail, Dandridge, TN. 37725
   rjb4jcpa@gmail.com

I've attached a doc I found describing how to do the gas strut refit some folks do. Sounds like mixed bag of results for folks. Some like it - some don't. I prefer to try to fix the factory version myself first.
-Gene

2005 Beaver Marquis, Ruby 40, C-13 Cat 525HP, Allison 4k
Towing 2018 F-150
Washington

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 11:11:12 AM »
Do a search using "scissor hinge" as the search argument.  There are several posts with lots of info on repairs and replacement.

Also,...  https://shop.findmyrvparts.com/swing-arm-assembly-08409451-entry-door-hinge-p/190098.htm
   but its cost is way too high!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 11:17:01 AM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 07:06:04 PM »
John
I also have a 2006 Monterey that had the same problem (worn out pivot rivet).  I was unwilling to pay the price for a new hinge ($130.00 at the time).  So, I set about to repair my old one.  The scissor hinge was screwed to the coach and pop-riveted to the door.  I had to drill out the pop-rivets on the top of the door to remove the mechanism.  I was unable to source a flat top countersunk rivet locally (ordering online required bulk orders), so I purchased a standard button top rivet in the correct diameter from my local Ace hardware.  A few minutes work on my bench grinder provided the correct countersunk configuration.  The rivet was much to long, so a hacksaw cut it down to size.  After installing the rivet into the hinge (beating it into submission) and pop-riveting the mechanism back to the top of the door, it has worked flawlessly for the last five years.  So, the bottom line is; you can either spend way to much for a new hinge, or with a little time and ingenuity you can have one that works as good as new.  Good luck with your repair.

Richard
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp
The following users thanked this post: Gene Obie

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 10:03:33 PM »
I have a box of the right size SS rivets for the door-if anyone needs a few, just let me know and I'll send you some.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."
The following users thanked this post: Gene Obie

John Ziomek

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 09:10:01 PM »
Many, many thanks to the suggestions and
Thank You all for responding.
I've decided to follow Richard's approach and try and remedy the problem myself. I do have the skills to try, sometimes just not the patience...lol....
With that thought in mind...Bill I might take you up on your generous offer or at the very least you could post the size of the rivets you used. Feel free to contact me, if you wish to, at my email address......jziomek50@gmail.com.

Again a heartfelt Thanks to all.....

JZ

2006 Beaver Monterey 40'